What would you do, I have dust under my screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tdgrn, Feb 5, 2009.

1. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Hey guys, like the title says, what would you do if your iphone has dust under the screen? This doesn't hurt the overall function of the iPhone, but I have been noticing it getting worse as of late. I can only really see most of the dust in direct sunlight, but there are some parts that I do see everyday, and it is a major eyesore. So, what should I do. I have the iPhone 3G, so obviously it is still under the 1 yr mfg warranty.

2. swy05 macrumors 6502

Get it swapped. The dust will only get worse.

My replacement phone doesn't have this problem now. The other 2 I had initially, had this issue. All I have is 2 minor dust specs that I can only see in sunlight. Those were possibly there from the beginning.

My apologies for hijacking your thread but.......

I swear to god, Apple's 3G iPhone has got to be one of the most poorly constructed phones I've ever used and I've used a ton of phones in my lifetime. I never really experieced the original iPhone so I can't really comment on that. As much as I love this phone, the construction/quality is piss poor.

Light leakage, cracking in the plastic, loose silent switch, dust under the screen, different LCD qualities in different phones, rattling inside the phone, bezel sticking out on one side, uneven screen lay, dark picture quality, etc. Swap your phone out for one problem and you run the risk of getting a phone with 3 more problems. I think most people have learned to live with the 1 problem and not run the risk of getting a worse phone.

My silent switch is a bit loose and my battery life isn't that great but, it's fine in every other way so I think I'll stay put. My 2 previous phones had chrome bezel sticking out, massive dust underneath the screen, terrible LCD quality.

Seriously Apple I love your phone but, you need to SERIOUSLY STEP THE **** UP in the QA department!

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Agreed. There seems to be ZERO quality control with these things. I'm on number five, and I've seen it all: light leak, cracks, loose buttons, dust under the display (on four of the five I've owned) and defective batteries. I'll probably take this one in soon, the dust is starting to get on my nerves. :(

4. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you think I need to take on the invisishield that i have on the phone. I know that the dust under the screen is actually under the screen, as it has developed over time. I don't guess it really matters if I am going to send it into Apple.

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

It wont affect the functioning afaik

And invisible shield wont help!

6. ojstagg93 macrumors member

ojstagg93

7. synagence macrumors 6502a

To be honest, i actually feel like iPhone is better constructed than many of my recent phones..

The Nokia N95 was gappy like crazy on the body and generally a poor phone with crappy battery life... my wife has had 3 sony ericssons recently and all those feel really flexible and bendy ..

8. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

This makes no sense whatsoever. I already have an invisi-shield on the iPhone, and I know it doesn't affect functionality of the phone. What I was asking is do you think Apple would just return my iPhone if it had it on there. (I don't have an Apple store close, so I would have to send it in through AppleCare.)

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Apple will accept it but you should remove it before hand....

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The Iphone is not air tight, the screen is not glued to the glass. Every Iphone, at some point, will have dust under the screen. Most of that dust will never be seen either because a screen protector is on or because it is so small you just can't see it.

I guarantee that the majority of Iphones, it held under direct sunlight, would show at least 1 spec of dust under the screen. It is unavoidable IMO, the phone is not made with an air tight seal so...

IF the only thing wrong with your phone is a spec of dust it would be stupid to return it and chance getting a phone with a more serious problem, because the new phone you get will either already have dust, or will just get dust again. You are wasting your time.

I went through 4-5 phones trying to find a dust free phone, which I did initially find. 5 months later, I have a small spec of dust there that wasn't there when I bought it. I learned to not be so anal about something I couldn't even see.

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Actually there is a gasket (a rubber one) which makes the glass and screen one air tight chamber. But due to the very poor QC for meeting demands... there have been a lot of misalignments which leaves a space b/w these two layers....

Now let me find a link.. even I need to confirm this!

12. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

Most of it is not a big deal as I can not see most of it, however, there is a larger speck of dust that can be easily seen even in complete darkness when using the phone. I just don't want to call Apple, send in my phone, and then have it returned to me 3 days later, and have nothing good come out of it, because dust under the screen is not something that is covered .

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

It'll probably best if you could trip out to an Apple Store and convince a genius! Face to Face makes a lot of difference in these situations.... if not then I dont think this is going to be a problem!

14. HyperSnake macrumors member

I too had dust under my screen so I went downtown to the Apple Store. I showed him my phone, told me he had never seen dust under the screen before(sure...) and gave me a new one right there at the desk. Didn't even have to show my owner's license(or whatever you call it).

The thing is I have noticed that my new iPhone (other one was from september) seems to have a glued on screen(prevents dust from getting under) and the buttons on the side are much better quality.

15. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish I could go to my local Apple shop, but it is no less than 5 hours away, so that isn't really an option.

16. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

If you have dust under your screen and want it replaced the Apple Store is the way to go? Will AT&T do anything or will they just send me to the Apple Store?

thanks,

BZ