What would you do iMac

golong15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
13
0
Hi first post so be gentle. Lol

I had to get rid of my macs back in June for financial reasons, but things have taken care of themselves and I’ll be getting a new computer, iMac, in mid Feb. I am without a computer now. Anyway, I want to get the BTO 27 inch 3.4 i7 with the 2 g video card but after being without a computer I so don’t want to wait for it to ship. So I’m trying to talk myself into the 3.1 stock i5 27 inch iMac. It will be for only personal use a little photo editing with aperture and getting my feet wet with final cut. My main reason for wanting the i7 with the upgraded video card is for World of Warcraft and maybe the new Star Wars MMO via boot camp. I really want to have the settings pretty high and not suffer lag when raiding in WoW. If there will be a difference that is worth waiting the week or so then so be it, but if it isn’t worth the wait and cash I’ll walk in my Apple store and walk out with a new computer. I know that the refresh is coming but I really can’t wait a few months when I don’t have a computer and I’m still not convinced that it will be a huge difference. So what would you guys do if you were me?

Thanks.
 

jj48

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
181
0
UK
Hi first post so be gentle. Lol

I had to get rid of my macs back in June for financial reasons, but things have taken care of themselves and I’ll be getting a new computer, iMac, in mid Feb. I am without a computer now. Anyway, I want to get the BTO 27 inch 3.4 i7 with the 2 g video card but after being without a computer I so don’t want to wait for it to ship. So I’m trying to talk myself into the 3.1 stock i5 27 inch iMac. It will be for only personal use a little photo editing with aperture and getting my feet wet with final cut. My main reason for wanting the i7 with the upgraded video card is for World of Warcraft and maybe the new Star Wars MMO via boot camp. I really want to have the settings pretty high and not suffer lag when raiding in WoW. If there will be a difference that is worth waiting the week or so then so be it, but if it isn’t worth the wait and cash I’ll walk in my Apple store and walk out with a new computer. I know that the refresh is coming but I really can’t wait a few months when I don’t have a computer and I’m still not convinced that it will be a huge difference. So what would you guys do if you were me?

Thanks.
I know this probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but for that kind of money (27" i7) I would buy a PC for gaming and a MBA. But that's just me.
 

golong15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
13
0
I've thought about it, but I will only be playing just the 1 game, WoW, and maybe the other but not sure. I don't want to get the PC just for WoW. Plus I have all my old Mac stuff backed up and I need a mac so that I can have my old files and apps. It's honestly like 500G of stuff backed up and a lot of money in those apps and files so I want to stay Mac.
 

Kungshi

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
47
0
If you want the machine to be powerful and play the game to the best ability then the upgrade is worth it. Just think of it this way, you may have to wait a week now, but you will always have the upgraded machine. If you get the stock version now and wish you had the upgrade later....well that will just kinda suck.
 

golong15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
13
0
Yes you are right. You never regret going with the better option. I was just hoping that the improvment would be so slight it wouldn't matter. Thanks man
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.