What would you do in my situation? MacBook Air or Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karkid, Oct 28, 2010.

1. karkid macrumors member

So guys last week i sold my i5 MBP 15" to get the macbook air, got the base model decided i wasn't happy with it just came home with the maxed out air came in around 2050...

i have a i980x/12GB/120GBSSD/5970 Desktop

I use the macbook air mostly for school and sitting on the couch, sometimes travelling etc...

I can get the maxed out 15" i7 off a local classifed add for 2300

if you were in my position what would you choose the air or the pro?

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

You have a super desktop, what's the point of buying the pro. I'd use the air for when I'm out of the house and the desktop for anything else.

3. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Lesson to learn here is you should have never got rid of the pro and just bought a air if you wanted it. Personally i don't think you even needed the air you just wanted it because it was a new apple product. But I would have kept the pro and got the air later only if I really needed it. From what you said you do with it I say you did not need it.

4. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I'd personally stick with the Air that you have now, given you have a desktop. Aren't you loving how portable the Air is for school!? My 13" is just a regular unibody and it's still way more portable than the 15".

If I had the money I would have an i7 iMac and the 11" MBA.

5. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

I have the 21.5" iMac with a 13" MacBook Pro which I both love. The iMac is the hub of my house & the MBP is everything else machine. I bring it work and use it for travel. The MBA is just to thin for me, I just feel uncomfortable using it.

6. deeesea macrumors 6502

+1111111111111111111111111

7. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

You haven't told us what you use a laptop for, so it's impossible for anyone to recommend one over the other.

What you should do in the meantime is stop buying things. You're just losing money doing that. Write out a list of things you need a laptop for - only the laptop, not a computer in general, since you already have a desktop. Write out your list in a bullet format (top to bottom single column) - then, make two new columns next to it, one for the Air and one for the MBP, and start checking off each item on your list that each laptop can do. Include personal preferences such as weight, portability, screen size, hard drive storage sizes, ports, etc. See how it looks. If you find that you're only going to use a laptop for daily/light-duty tasks, like e-mail and web browsing, you can even add an iPad to the compare list. But again, curb the impulse shopping ASAP.