What would you do in this situation (multiple repairs)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by striker9, Jan 7, 2010.

1. striker9 macrumors member

I just received my macbook pro (early 08) back from AppleCare after an exhausting week of them not being able to tell me what was going on with my computer. The repair status online showed "On Hold - Need Information". After 3 calls, none of the reps could tell me what was going on with my computer.

It was later returned to the apple store with the following repairs made covered under warranty:

Display Panel
    Optical Drive
    Flex Cable
    Bezel
    Keyboard
    Top Case
    Both Fans

Other repairs I have had in the past include:

Bluetooth Module / antennae
    Top Case
    Fan
    2 Power Adapters
    Keyboard
    Battery

Today I noticed that while i close my laptop (or put pressure in that fashion), the screen inverts colors.

As I'm sure many of you are students, you would understand the importance of having to send out your computer this many times during the school-year.

Although 3 of the same major repairs haven't been made, I feel as though a replacement should be made. The more my computer is taken apart and repaired, the more faulty it becomes. The Apple store is quite a drive away, so my question to you is, what would be appropriate/best to do in a situation like this?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would agree with you, not because you're a student but because you've purchased a machine that is clearly defective and is in need of frequent repair.

3. striker9 thread starter macrumors member

I guess what i mean to say is, should I call Applecare and express this, or should I speak with the manager at the retail store? Who would be the best people to contact in this situation?

4. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I would call AppleCare first as they can look up your repair history. I would also explain what your current problem is after the last repairs and suggest to them that your laptop needs to be replaced.

If all else fails, I would go to the Apple Store and plead nicely with them and see if you can get a replacement.

5. All Taken macrumors 6502a

sjobs@apple.com explain your story and somebody from executive relations will call you.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why? I'd expect that route if the guy had issue getting it replaced but he hasn't even gone to apple care with the new issues. If you people would stop using that god damn email address for every whine you have then maybe it would be a more effective way to get extreme cases resolved. The OP should hit up Apple Care then take additional steps if necessary.

7. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

usually when i have a bad experience or some other concern i will mention it on the survey i get the day after i visit the apple store.

i always get a call from a manager from the apple store and they have always helped me get to a favorable resolution.

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Is that real? If so hilarious.

9. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's a real e-mail address and someone does check it. Most likely someone from the customer relations management area.

However, it seems that everyone and their uncle e-mails that address every time they have a hang nail, so it's definitely being WAY over used.

I would call AppleCare and explain your situation. Remain calm but firm and they will most likely help you.

Good luck.

10. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

i was in your same situation but i just got a replacement. Don't worry, that model of computer will break down again... and again before your applecare wears out. use it a lot, get a case for it so that you don't damage it in a drop and kill the warranty. You have to ask for a replacement, but it should be on your fourth major repair. It seems that you had two repairs so far (even though you had multiple issues on each repair). Wait until the new update before contacting apple.

11. striker9 thread starter macrumors member

Just another update.

I sent my computer in for repair again. I received it back with glowing edges around the corners of the screen (not consistent color), and also a few dead pixels. I didnt have time to send it in for the 3rd time in a row so I decided to hold on to it until I had time.

After putting my laptop to sleep it no longer turns on. I'm pretty sure its the logic board and not the 8600 because when I push the power button the sleep light flashes for a second, the cd drive activates and I can hear the HDD spinning but then it all shuts down immediately.

At this point I have had it with this laptop. Problem after problem. Taking it to the Apple store an hour away tomorrow to talk to the manager.

12. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I'd expect a replacement. Hope you have better luck with your next one!

13. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

You definitely have some issues with your laptop but if I was you, I would wait a week to request a replacement. if Apples going to replace your laptop, they will replace it with the latest model and tons of rumor about new MBP coming out on the 27th.

Just a thought and good luck

14. striker9 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I cannot wait a week to do this. I use my mbp for photo, video, and web design for school and work. I am planning on talking to the manager about a possible replacement, but has anyone had experience with loaners if they decide to deny me a replacement?

15. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You sure? A friend of mine once had his iPod Nano just completely die on him, so he sent it in and Apple said they would replace it. This was about a month after the newer generation of iPods came out so we got all excited (going from a 2G Nano to 3G is a big step up)... but then he just got a 2G iPod Nano back.

Do you have experience with this? I mean, it's fantastic if that's the way Apple does it, my experience is different, though. Maybe I should send my PowerBook in for replacement... I'll get a MBP back! ;)

16. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I would call AppleCare, again. Let them know your frustration and see if a complete replacement is possible. I wouldn't put up with this as your Mac is clearly defective.

Good luck

Habitus :apple:

17. striker9 thread starter macrumors member

So the store decided to replace my 2.5 early 2008 mbp with one of the newer 2.6 models. One thing that came up though is the fact that my old mbp had the 8600 with 512mb of vram, however the new unibody has the 9600 with 256mb of vram.

Now the 512mb of vram was one of the reason I bought the 2.5 model over the 2.4 back in early 2008. I tried to ask for a matching 512mb in the new machine but they said the 256 was already "sooo" much better.

From what I've read the 9600 is only a slight bump over the 8600. I play graphics intensive games at high resolutions like 1900 x 1200. Will the 9600 256mb handle this as well as the 8600 512mb?

18. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

+1 I am always amazed how people think that their issues are like spotting a unicorn and require the attention of Steve Jobs. I suggest using a little discretion, call Applecare and explain your issue. My experience shows me that if you climb the ladder of departments and calmly explain you issue the appropriate person will help you.