What would you do? (MBA vs. rMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rpearlberg, Aug 6, 2014.

1. rpearlberg, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014

rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

2. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

3. kelon111 macrumors 6502

Pro has faster integrated GPU , more RAM and a better screen.
    The Pro also has HDMI out so you can easily hook it up to a TV or a decent monitor. There are other differences but I'd say the Pro is already worth the price difference just with those differences.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Pro. Much better display. Get a hold of a mover's discount coupon and save 10 percent. Are you or anyone close to you a college student?

Edu discount plus a mover's coupon would put you paying 1080 before tax for that rMBP.

5. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I have the edu and movers. I actually already bought the pro and the air, just can't decide which one to keep.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd keep the pro. I was in a similar situation, comparing the 1.7GHz/8GB/256GB MBA and the 2.4GHz/8GB/256GB rMBP, and after seeing the screen on the rMBP my mind was made up. I haven't bought one yet, but I'm not window shopping MBAs anymore.

7. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Well, it can be a tough decision. I started out with the Air and just loved the form factor. However, I could tell from the start that the display just wasn't very good. Once I tried the rMBP, the form factor went out the window. The retina display is so much better to me. There are some who aren't bothered by the Air's mediocre display. If you are one of those people, then the Air may win out for you.

Performance will pretty much be a wash. In the end, I like the footprint and display on the rMBP and to me, that was worth it.

8. kfmfe04 macrumors member

$160 is too small a difference for the lighter weight and longer battery life.

Pay a little more fore a better screen, faster processor, and longer expected lifetime (usage) for the machine.

I intend to buy a 15" rmbp this year to replace my 2009 13" mbp, but if I had a tight budget, I actually think the entry level mid-2014 13" is probably the best value in the macbook lineup right now. I mean a 15" is great, but you can buy two entry-level 13" with retina for that price.

mba used to be a great machine when the price and portability gap between the 13" and the mba were greater. These days, both price and portability have improved for the 13" to a degree that I am sure it's cannibalizing mba sales.

9. addictzz macrumors 6502

Looks like rmbp 13" vs mba 13" competition is won by rMBP 13" again this year. MBA 13" surely has more portability & longer battery life and that sexy tapered design has its charm but it needs to get bigger price drop to gain advantage in competition with rMBP 13".

10. nexus4life macrumors regular

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

pro for the screen.

air for battery/portability.

now decide whats for you

13. 5to1, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

5to1 macrumors 6502

I got the rMBP. But what I did isn't really important to you as my requirements are different.

From the things you've listed only pictures & movies would benefit from the extra resolution of the rMBP screen. For web surfing you might find the text and embedded high res images better on the eye. If you use multiple windows side by side the "retina" screen would offer greater desktop real estate also.

But you haven't mentioned how much $160 matters to you. You also haven't mentioned how much you prioritise/require lower weight (the foot print of the 13" air is actually bigger so I havent said portability) and longer battery life. Both of which the Air has an advantage over the rMBP.

I doubt the CPU/GPU/RAM will make sod all difference to you :/

14. mominsky macrumors newbie

IM a new mac user - had my rMBP for only a week, but a year ago, I had an air that I kept for about 2 weeks - then returned (to amazon)....after going with a pro, i would NEVER go back to an air unless it had the retina. The computer just feels so much more solid, and the screen is just incredible - I have to imagine if you have both, you can put them side by side and REALLY see the difference.

The slight difference in battery life to me was negligible considering I am using the pro as a desktop replacement...and how often are you away from power for that many hours consecutively? the half pound makes no difference to me in carrying it when I do move around...so yea, pro all the way :)

15. Mike P macrumors newbie

I made this choice recently. The screen on the Air is really poor in comparison with the Pro. The slight weight difference isn't worth worrying about and the Pro is actually slightly smaller and, to my mind, slightly more comfortable to use.

The recent price drop and RAM upgrade seals it to my mind - Pro all the way.

16. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I had the same decision to make. After looking at both those models and factoring in the movers discount + student discount, I ended up getting the 15" Feb 2013 Retina off Apple's refurb store. I felt for the mariginal increase in price, it was 100% worth getting a 15" screen, nvidia gpu, etc.

17. Joebrown macrumors member

I received my 13" pro today and can second this^. The weight difference is almost nothing, while the pro is thicker it's also got a smaller footprint, battery life isn't bad and the screen is awesome, and with the price so close as it is now I think the pro is the one to go for. I haven't stopped using mine all night! :rolleyes:

18. rpearlberg, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014

rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seems like Pro is the way to go. Just to confirm, the one I got is the 2.4 version, not the newest.

19. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

Isn't the pro's footprint actually smaller than the air?
    That makes the Pro a much better purchase - that screen - boy it's gorgeous.

I have the 15' and it's still considered portable in my books. So much more power in that one. But I digress.

20. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Many of us were deciding tween the two. The Pro is just an all around better machine in just about every regard. The ONLY reason to get the Air would be if portability and a few hours extra battery life are critical for you. Most people don't fall into that category.

And, it's not like the MBP is a brick or something. Fairly portable itself, IMO.

21. Bri in Mtl macrumors member

Says it all....

22. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

MBA for you.

Just those things? then the MBA is just right for you.

23. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

24. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Do you not notice a huge difference in the display quality/clarity/viewing angles etc?

To me that's the biggest reason to go with the pro. If you don't notice it, you might be fine with the Air.

25. 5to1 macrumors 6502

As per my previous post the rMBP 13 has a smaller footprint. The MBA is thinner and lighter though. Which is more portable depends on your circumstances I guess, but for me footprint trumped the difference in thickness/weight.