What would you do---which Alum Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Madmike85, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Madmike85 macrumors newbie

This is more or less a personal question for me or anyone else stuck between macbook models. I know this question has been asked on various forums, but didn't know if anything new has turned up with the new Alum macbook being out about two months now. I currently have a Dell 5150 inspiron and am about to throw it out the window because of the problems I've had/have with it. I have been so drawn in by the Apple design and operating system that my heart is set on it, but I'm not sure which options are right for me. I'm in my senior year in college and will mainly be using it for word processing, web browsing, music/photo viewing----nothing really with photo editing or video creation. After this Dell, my only big requirement that I must have is speed and multitasking performance! Basically, I am set on the new macbooks and not sure which one to get. One better than the other?

What should I go with, Apple users? I'm glad I'll finally be apart of the legacy, lol.

Madmike

2. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

My 1299 macbook is all you will ever need. It's top notch.

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You are a student so the price difference would be $250 between the 2 models. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 2.0 models gets a $50 cut and the 2.4 gets a $100 cut. It is just $50, but still something to consider. If you think $250 is worth a backlit keyboard, more powerful processor, and larger hard drive then go with the 2.4. If not then the 2.0. Personally I think it is worth the additional $250. I always found the high end Macbooks (like the Blackbook of a gen ago) have a better resale % than the low end one. I'm sure everyone has an opinion on that, but in my experience that has been the case.

Either one will do what you said you need it for and both are pretty nice.

5. Madmike85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys

I appreciate the quick responses from you guys! I have to wait until I get some cash-flow from the xmas season, but I am super excited to get one regardless. Being new to this whole Apple thing, I just wanted to see what everyone else is saying!

6. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

If you have the money then get the top of the line and you dont have to worry or question your purchase. I usually always try to get the top of the line of any product and then i dont have buyers remorse. But that all depends on a persons financial situation.

7. Madmike85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thinking I might just go for the 2.4, just so I can have the better processor and possibly upgrade the RAM later on if I need to. That was also another thing I wasn't sure of. My dell has been the prime example of SLOWW and not trying to repeat any of that. Would you guys think 2GB is enough for just basic tasks(word,internet,etc)? or would I need 4GB?

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

two is fine, but they're easy to upgrade and just wait on a deal for 2x2GB sticks. I have 3gb since that's all it can handle and it's def. no problem. just wish it had a better video card. I have a black macbook from sept. 2007

9. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Count me in :)

10. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Like the hog man said, resale could be important. I also agree with the others that the 2.0 will serve you nicely. I want one too. I basicly have to decide if I like the backlit keyboard.

11. Madmike85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I'll have the money to go ahead an spurgle on the top end one and I'm thinking I'm liking the backlit keyboard!! Looks pretty cool! The whole computer looks pretty fantasic for that matter!

12. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I think I like the KB too. I had a previous generation MBP for a couple months. I didn't totally enjoy the KB because it always auto adjusted the brightness and that didn't suit me. Maybe I can turn off the auto on the new MB.

13. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

the deal turner for me was the student discount on the 2.4 is $100 and $50 on the 2.0. It made it $250 more for 90GB, 400MHz more, and backlit keyboard sound that much greater.

14. budkid macrumors regular

get the 2.0!

15. knarzie macrumors regular

the truth is, people who have bought the 2.4 will tell you that's the one for you, people who bought the 2.0 will tell you that's sufficient.

i got the 2.4 2 days ago and love it!!!

before this one i owned a powerbook g4 for 5 years and loved it so much that at first i hated the new ones.

the glossy screen, the black keyboard, no fire wire.

but after a few days i have to say the glossy screen does not bother me at all.

i was seriously considering getting a mbp just for the fire wire and the bigger screen, but i dont actually need it and can honestly say i don't miss it. transferred my 75GB itunes library with usb and it was a lot quicker than expected.

and i guess unless you do visual work on the go, people are rarely in need of fire wire for speed of data transfer.

teh backlit keyboard is really great, so if that is something you want you have to go for the 2.4

16. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Thats not really that great of a deal really. You can buy a 500 GB drive for about $150, backlight keyboard is not very useful (never used it on my MBP) and most people won't notice the 400 MHz difference anyways.

17. jhande macrumors 6502

The 2.4, natch

Actually if I had to pay for it I would choose the 2.0, but the company paid, so....:D

However, this is the first time I've had a backlit keyboard, and I've always scoffed at it before -- I was wrong. It really is neat, especially on flights and in bed.

So, spec it as high as you can afford, being happy in the knowledge that 'even' a 2.0 is a pretty cool machine.

18. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I have a macbook air and I really dig the lit up keyboard. I"m often on planes or working at night and it's a great feature for me.

I just ordered a 2.4 new alum macbook for my son. I had promised him one this summer after he graduated, but he said he preferred to wait for these new ones to come out. Then he said he was using his desktop only and no need for the new MB. Now he's bringing home the desktop to reclaim desk space and cut down on his gaming addiction. So, the new 2.4 is on its way.

From a parents standpoint, he's in his freshman year. By going for the 2.4, I'm getting the faster CPU, larger HD and the backlit KB. My hopes are this lasting for his 4 years. So, I went with the better of the two.

19. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Ditto

20. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

+1

21. mbleopard macrumors regular

Its $100 off the 2.4GHz, im not sure about the 2.0

The 2.4 is definitely worth the extra money if you can afford it

22. Madmike85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!! I'm thinking im going with the 2.4! I'm diggin' the backlit keyboard, the better processor, bigger hard drive,etcc..... Should I be concerned about MWSF in January? I hear this on all the forums here that the macbook is not going to change at all, but you guys think buying it soon would be ok?

23. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I'm buying in January, but not because of MacWorld. I'm 99.9% certain (common sense and history) that they will not do anything to the Macbook line then. It would be nice, but won't happen. I think you can buy now with no risks.