What would you do with 5 SSDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by md63, Aug 3, 2012.

1. md63 macrumors 6502

Here's a story for you. I ordered an SSD from a multibillion on line retailer (who should know better than what they did) and the box I received was much larger than expected. I open the box and find they sent me 5 SSDs which had been packaged in a box from the manufacturer. They dropped the manufacturer's box in their shipping box and sent it to me. The store sent me over $1,000 of extra SSD. I checked the invoice and my account and I only ordered one and was charged for one. I know I have no legal obligation to contact the store but I am going to give them a call and see what they say. I have a feeling its going to be hassel to return since they only have a record of me purchasing and them shipping one SSD but we will see.

Assuming they don't know how to handle a return and don't want them back, what would you do with these. Maybe a five SSD thunderbolt raid? :D

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd return them anyway, as I would consider myself dishonest if I didn't.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

And what if they decide to charge you for the rest, then what smart guy? :cool:

Restore some of my faith in humanity and do the right thing.

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Of course returning them is the right thing to do. BUT legally they don't have a leg to stand on if they tried to charge him for them. You can not be sent a product and then billed for it; anything sent to you, without you requesting it, is yours without charge. Why? Because otherwise you'd get companies sending you crap and charging you a fortune for it.

5. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't say I wasn't going to contact the seller and try to return them. I just said it would most likely be a hassel since they have no record of sending me the extra drives. I called the seller and my hunch was confirmed. The person at the call center said you can't return something that was never sent to you. I explained the situation and was told it was highly unlikely that they sent me the extra merchandise without charging me. I have confirmed that I was only charged for one drive. I asked to escalate to a manager and the manager essentially said the same thing. He said they would look into it and give me a call back. We'll see what happens.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

If they don't want them back, then you got some free drives out of it. At least you tried

<madsci's faith in humanity increased a little>

7. ivnj macrumors 65816

ebay them. But first call to double check you don't need to return them.

8. smellalot macrumors 6502

Order another one to, maybe they'll do it again :cool:

9. asdad123 macrumors regular

If they told me to keep them, I would keep 1 and sell the rest.

I would really have no need for 5 SSDs. They would go to waste lol.

10. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

11. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

240gb Intel.

----------

Well see if the seller gets back to me. I won't open them for now. I'm tempted to put them in a raid but im not aware of of a 2.5 thunderbolt enclosure. Will probably sell them if I can't return them.

12. Ifti macrumors 68000

drobo mini will take 4 drives in RAID ;)

13. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Bah, the only REAL thing to do is to give them out to his MacRumors friends... Right Buddy?

14. LaazyEye macrumors regular

If I were you, I'd hold on to them for at least a few weeks before taking any action. I've had this happen to me once: the invoice, shipping label and everything was addressed to me but the items in the box were clearly not what I had ordered. I was contacted a couple weeks later and the orders got switched oddly (when the other party did not receive what they ordered). You may have gotten someone else's order by mistake. But, do the right thing and contact them.

15. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Since you already contacted them, you fulfilled any moral obligation. It's up to them to get back with you to return the drives. I would wait at least a month, if no one contacts you by then, I would put them to good use.

16. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

kind of weird that they don't believe you. Most places use humans to pack things, humans make mistakes like this. Probably somebody new working the warehouse and didn't realize they were shipped in sets of 5 from the manufacturer. So instead of only pulling one to ship to you they pulled the case of 5.

17. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

18. zalo macrumors newbie

This happened to me when I order a scoop coater for screen printing. I ordered one, got 12. I called them back and they just said keep them, they weren't worth the cost of shipping them back.

Now 100 dollars worth of products isnt the same as 1000, but there is a good chance you will never get contacted to send them back.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5956/qnaps-jtb400-a-byod-4bay-thunderbolt-enclosure

Maybe that gets released at the same time you feel you waited long enough.

19. noteple macrumors 65816

Call them and get an RMA for a defective product.

Return all but one.

Let them sort it all out.

20. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I'd keep Em and never contact them. They won't go bankrupt over it. People wanna bitch about karma and such, well what if I walked up to a new born and punched it in the face? Is that karma? No, you can't be a dictator of karma, it's pathetic state of mind people have when they feel they morally made a mistake. Anything that happens after is pure coincidence.

You didn't break any laws or hurt anyone. I'd keep Em. This isn't your fault to correct, it's theirs.

Yea I said it, it had to be said.

21. BruceiD macrumors member

In Belgium it would be legal to keep them.
    If the transaction is done and paid and they give you the wrong products, you're able to keep them. Even if they "force" you to pay for the products, you're still able to keep them without paying.
    Some firms actually use a way so that they can try and make the customer buy for the products even f they know that they're completly illegal.

I'd keep them for at least a month without opening. If you get no response, go ahead have fun with them.
    If you do they response, check the policy for this in the US, then you can see whether you can keep them or not.

Good luck anyways, I hope you're able to keep them :D

22. Fed macrumors 6502

That's entirely subjective.

My thoughts exactly.