Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Just got given one, along with an iPhone 4s. So with my recently acquired Mac Pro 2,1, I've gone from zero Apple to a small ecosystem inside a month.
Both devices were reset, so of course the App Store laughed at trying to install other apps, Netflix etc. I managed to circumvent this to a degree by getting apps via the Mac desktop machine, so both devices are now usable beyond the basics.
Anyone else using an ipad this old?

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
As I recently got an iPad Pro the same question popped up in my head. I've decided to load it with my old music collection and make a separate mail account for it so that I can mail cooking recipes to it. Then I'm going to attach it to one of my kitchen cabinets. As the standby battery time is so ridiculously good on the 3 I won't have to think about charging it all of the time.

Reactions: DCBassman

Devvy

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
Download Nanostudio v1 on it and start some music production :) It'll run pretty well.
Selling might be more sensible.

Reactions: stinkhorn9

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Seems to work OK on Netflix, and have managed to get Kindle on, too. Probably great for that. But irritating, because I just bought a new Kindle...
Pairs up well with an Esynic BT keyboard I have, so a few possibilities...

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Just got given one, along with an iPhone 4s. So with my recently acquired Mac Pro 2,1, I've gone from zero Apple to a small ecosystem inside a month.
Both devices were reset, so of course the App Store laughed at trying to install other apps, Netflix etc. I managed to circumvent this to a degree by getting apps via the Mac desktop machine, so both devices are now usable beyond the basics.
Anyone else using an ipad this old?
I don't have an iPad 3, but I still use my iPad 1 and iPad 2 that I've owned since they were first released.

My iPad 1 serves as a digital picture tube for a vintage TV. (I've posted photos of this numerous times) My iPad 2 serves as an arcade and pinball machine.... I have it in an iCade cabinet and Duo Pinball dock.

I have a 1st gen iPhone SE (essentially a 5S) that I use as a dedicated point-n-shoot camera using the Incipio Focal camera case.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Once upon a time, there was this wondrous device called iPod. It could do a whopping 1 thing- store a whole bunch of songs in a tiny little box and play them. No apps. No video. No phone. No notes. No games. No texting. No bluetooth. No maps. No pro motion screen. No retina screen. No touch screen. Not even a color screen.

Just ONE thing.

For those who came to discover it, we gushed & praised it and could not believe our good fortune at having such a tiny little device that could do that one thing. We bought countless millions of them and helped Apple rise from almost having to lay in the grave it was digging for itself, mostly on the strength of this little, one-function device and the halo effect it had in bringing many people back to Apple.

Step forward barely 20 years and we have devices that can still do many things on color touch screens, with graphics, with much greater capabilities than that one-function thing. But because we look at the old relative to what is possible now, we see stuff like that as near useless.

My suggestion: can you find ONE thing that that "3" can do that is useful to you or those around you? If so, perhaps see it like we saw iPods for many years. Can you find TWO things it can do? If so, it has TWICE the potential joy of iPods. THREE things? OMG: how did we ever get by without this full-color "iPod" that can do THREE distinct things? Etc.

I just replaced an iPad Mini 2 with an iPad Mini 6. I then thought about what I should do with the "2" as if it no longer had any uses. However, I found it could still do everything it could do the day before the "6" arrived... and it is still getting app updates. So I made it the "backup" iPad or the one to use in situations that might be a bit damage-risky. While it definitely does not get as much use as "latest & greatest," it still does all kinds of things as well as it did before. For example, in iPod mode, the quality of music it can play is every bit as good as the "6."

My car has a port for iDevice connections. It even had a 30-pin cable option. So I decided to see if it would work with the last generation iPod I still had... maybe almost my entire music library could be available in the car without having to pay ongoing subscription fees to some music service or listen to 80% commercials in free radio? Sure enough, dusted some cobwebs off the 5th gen iPod, synched all of the music I wanted to it, hooked it up to the car system and now my car is loaded with all of my favored playlists... many thousands of songs. I don't need to hook the iDevice in for that, I don't need to lose quality by leaning on bluetooth limitations, I don't need to pay a nickel to listen to songs I own or burn iDevice battery or cellular data when driving. That ancient iPod is VERY useful again. Tucked it deep into the console and may never touch it again. My car is now a mobile iPod with much better speakers than the buds that came with it way back then.

That iPad "3" probably does many things just fine. It will do select things just as good as the latest generation. Step out of 2021 cutting edge and it is FAR more capable than devices we used to think were dazzling beyond measure. I remember paying- I think- $699 for that first B&W, one-function iPod with a whopping 10GB of storage and only a Firewire port. Thick. Heavy. No cameras. No keyboard. No games. No apps. No texts. No Pencil. No calls. No youtube. No maps. No GPS. No wifi. No streaming music. No... No... No...

But what it COULD do was FANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNtastic!.. just as an newer-but-still-one-function generation continues to do in my car in 2021. Can that "3" do ONE thing as well? Two? Three? Imagine pre-iPhone Jobs stepping out on a MacWorld stage and showing a new iPod that could now do TWO things? Or maybe a 3-app iPod? "And just one more thing... here's a FOURTH app." Apple Geekgasms for all and we would have stood in lines for hours to pay wayyyyyy up for the incredible, new, 4-app iPod. How could man even live before without this 4-function device???

Perhaps the glass is half full? Maybe more than half full? To repurpose a classic Steven Stills lyric...

Last edited:

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
I still use an iPad mini 2 as a reader and take it to the gym to watch Netflix while doing cardio. I keep thinking about getting a new one but my 2020 iPP 12.9" sort of negates the need for it.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Once upon a time, there was this wondrous device called iPod. It could do a whopping 1 thing- store a whole bunch of songs in a tiny little box and play them. No apps. No video. No phone. No notes. No games. No texting. No bluetooth. No maps. No pro motion screen. No retina screen. No touch screen. Not even a color screen.

Just ONE thing.

For those who came to discover it, we gushed & praised it and could not believe our good fortune at having such a tiny little device that could do that one thing. We bought countless millions of them and helped Apple rise from almost having to lay in the grave it was digging for itself, mostly on the strength of this little, one-function device and the halo effect it had in bringing many people back to Apple.

Step forward barely 20 years and we have devices that can still do many things on color touch screens, with graphics, with much greater capabilities than that one-function thing. But because we look at the old relative to what is possible now, we see stuff like that as near useless.

My suggestion: can you find ONE thing that that "3" can do that is useful to you or those around you? If so, perhaps see it like we saw iPods for many years. Can you find TWO things it can do? If so, it has TWICE the potential joy of iPods. THREE things? OMG: how did we ever get by without this full-color "iPod" that can do THREE distinct things? Etc.

I just replaced an iPad Mini 2 with an iPad Mini 6. I then thought about what I should do with the "2" as if it no longer had any uses. However, I found it could still do everything it could do the day before the "6" arrived... and it is still getting app updates. So I made it the "backup" iPad or the one to use in situations that might be a bit damage-risky. While it definitely does not get as much use as "latest & greatest," it still does all kinds of things as well as it did before. For example, in iPod mode, the quality of music it can play is every bit as good as the "6."

My car has a port for iDevice connections. It even had a 30-pin cable option. So I decided to see if it would work with the last generation iPod I still had... maybe almost my entire music library could be available in the car without having to pay ongoing subscription fees to some music service or listen to 80% commercials in free radio? Sure enough, dusted some cobwebs off the 5th gen iPod, synched all of the music I wanted to it, hooked it up to the car system and now my car is loaded with all of my favored playlists... many thousands of songs. I don't need to hook the iDevice in for that, I don't need to lose quality by leaning on bluetooth limitations, I don't need to pay a nickel to listen to songs I own or burn iDevice battery or cellular data when driving. That ancient iPod is VERY useful again. Tucked it deep into the console and may never touch it again. My car is now a mobile iPod with much better speakers than the buds that came with it way back then.

That iPad "3" probably does many things just fine. It will do select things just as good as the latest generation. Step out of 2021 cutting edge and it is FAR more capable than devices we used to think were dazzling beyond measure. I remember paying- I think- $699 for that first B&W, one-function iPod with a whopping 10GB of storage and only a Firewire port. Thick. Heavy. No cameras. No keyboard. No games. No apps. No texts. No Pencil. No calls. No youtube. No maps. No GPS. No wifi. No streaming music. No... No... No...

But what it COULD do was FANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNtastic!.. just as an newer-but-still-one-function generation continues to do in my car in 2021. Can that "3" do ONE thing as well? Two? Three? Imagine pre-iPhone Jobs stepping out on a MacWorld stage and showing a new iPod that could now do TWO things? Or maybe a 3-app iPod? "And just one more thing... here's a FOURTH app." Apple Geekgasms for all and we would have stood in lines for hours to pay wayyyyyy up for the incredible, new, 4-app iPod. How could man even live before without this 4-function device???

Perhaps the glass is half full? Maybe more than half full? To repurpose a classic Steven Stills lyric...

Now, this is the way I think too. The 3 is already set up as a Kindle, it will do Netflix OK, and doubtless will do email well also. Runs the appropriate version of Chrome just fine, whereas the installed Safari is a bit iffy sometimes.
So, 4 apps! Nirvana!
I stuck a spare SIM in the iphone 4s, and made a call. The sound quality of the call was outstanding, better than any other phone in the house, and that includes an iphone 6. Shame they're going to switch 2G/3G off over the next couple of years, but it will serve as a camera after that, as well as imitating an ipod.
I'm one of these sad geeks that ALWAYS uses second-hand stuff where possible, both for ecological and being-a-pauper reasons. A full hd, do-almost-everything Windows laptop, built from eBay scrap. Hand-me-downs (or is that ups?) from friends and relatives. The £85 I just spent on the Mac Pro 2,1 was a rare comfort zone breaker.
I'm just slightly irritated at the new Kindle I recently bought, the freebie ipad 3 is much nicer!
:D

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Even when 2G/3G goes, try a VOIP app like Google Voice or Talkatone on wifi. I use iPad Mini 6 (and "2" until only a few weeks ago) as a "phone" (with buds with mic) on wifi MOST of the time. Yes, I can also use it that way on cellular, but it works just as well as a phone/texting device over wifi.

And yes, 3G vs. 5G voice won't really make any difference in audible clarity. The "Gs" are mostly about the speed of data transfers. So an iPhone 4 talking to an iPhone 18 in a few more years is still going to sound great.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Which ones would further qualify for that list? Mini 3? First 9.7" pro?

Mini 3 easily. Compared to the iPad 3 it only got two new features for iPad and was very expensive compared to the Mini 2 despite it having the same A7 and all and also with the Mini 2 they didn’t get iPadOS 13

with iPad 3 though it had breathtaking features when it was revealed, first iPad to have… Retina Display, 1080p video recording, 5MP Back camera ( which was great at the time), and the first iPad to show off the enhanced X version of the SoC (worst SoC though) also iPad 3 was the first iDevice to have 1GB of RAM

Why would you say 9.7 inch iPad Pro… it was the first iDevice with P3 wide color gamut and True Tone and first iPad to have a 12MP Camera, record in 1080p at 60fps, record in 4K, first iPad to have a much better front camera

Also 9.7 inch iPad Pro is far better than 5th,6th gen basic iPads and possibly the 7th/8th gen iPad in some areas, also IMO definitely Better than the 7th gen iPod Touch as well ( since it’s A10 is severely underclocked and it’s A9X is better)

Also besides those two iPads, i would put the OG iPad at third place because it didn’t get iOS 6 when even 3GS got it, lagged so bad at iOS 5, and by the time it even got a iOS version (4.2.1) it was halfway throughout its life getting it ( when it got iPhone OS preventing a unification of iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch at the time)

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I don't have an iPad 3, but I still use my iPad 1 and iPad 2 that I've owned since they were first released.

My iPad 1 serves as a digital picture tube for a vintage TV. (I've posted photos of this numerous times) My iPad 2 serves as an arcade and pinball machine.... I have it in an iCade cabinet and Duo Pinball dock.

Hell, I still use my jailbroken iPad 1 64gb daily, for my daily to-dos, music to bluetooth speaker, Flipboard, marking up documents during meetings, a little word processing/spreadsheet work via Quickoffice (don't need anything fancy), reading ebooks, watching videos on iteroni.com (a low-resource YouTube Invidious instance; there's a modified browser-turned-Invidious app that links to it), and some light web surfing with Opera Mini. I tweaked it to use a virtual memory hack to stop apps from crashing, and it works great, if a tad slower under iOS 5.1.1., but I'm patient. I also have a 2017 iPad (5th generation? Don't remember) that I only use for ordering from purveyors for work. Something about the simplicity of the original iPad appeals to me more than the newer one I have, and its battery life is still great after 10+ years, plus I like making old hardware useful past its use-by date. I come home to my Mac Mini and Mac Pro for a more modern experience, and upload my files from the iPad from work to my home server for more work/printing/etc.

I used to have an iCade with an iPad 2 and MAME4IOS. I modified an Arcade1Up cabinet with a PC and new controls to run MAME and gave the iCade with the iPad to a friend.

Last edited:

Devvy

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
Why would you say 9.7 inch iPad Pro… it was the first iDevice with P3 wide color gamut and True Tone and first iPad to have a 12MP Camera, record in 1080p at 60fps, record in 4K, first iPad to have a much better front camera

Also 9.7 inch iPad Pro is far better than 5th,6th gen basic iPads and possibly the 7th/8th gen iPad in some areas, also IMO definitely Better than the 7th gen iPod Touch as well ( since it’s A10 is severely underclocked and it’s A9X is better)

Also besides those two iPads, i would put the OG iPad at third place because it didn’t get iOS 6 when even 3GS got it, lagged so bad at iOS 5, and by the time it even got a iOS version (4.2.1) it was halfway throughout its life getting it ( when it got iPhone OS preventing a unification of iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch at the time)
I was thinking about the first 9.7 pro because of the 2GB RAM. At that time I decided to buy the cheaper Air2 instead. But as you say it depends on the value that you see in the other improved specifications (I didn't).
You might be right about the first iPad though. It is strange to put it in the list of worst iPads in a way because it made such a huge impression on me when someone demoed one to me. I knew I had to get an iPad someday (eventually I bought the iPad2 which was an excellent device).

Reactions: Homme and DCBassman

Spacegray

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2016
I gave my iPad3 to my mother last year to stay in contact via FaceTime during the lockdowns and....she loves it:)

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Not worth the frustration. Limited apps that work and ones that do work are very slow.
I got frustrated with my iPad 4 (the retina version of the iPad 3) three years ago, and traded it in for $50.

At some point you just have to say: thank you for your service. (Apologies to Marie Kondo)

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I got frustrated with my iPad 4 (the retina version of the iPad 3) three years ago, and traded it in for $50.

At some point you just have to say: thank you for your service. (Apologies to Marie Kondo)

iPad 3 was the first iPad with retina display (albeit with a severely underpowered GPU). iPad 4 is just the faster version with Lightning port released 6 months later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.