What would you do with this knackered rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EdBarnacle, Oct 30, 2014.

1. EdBarnacle macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've got a 2012 15" rMBP that had a critical coffee accident a year ago. The cost of replacing the screen and top case is too high, and the SSD seems to have given up the ghost too. However, motherboard and I/O is fine and the tech in the shop managed to successfully boot off his external HD.

What would you do with something like this? It could make a good home entertainment centre with a basic external HD, even if a 2.4 i7 CPU and 16gb RAM would allow it to do a whole lot more. With a monitor it could make a good desktop computer, but then you would need a faster external drive to boot off (Lacie rugged TB perhaps?). Also, the tech warned against replacing the internal SSD as he thought it may go bad again at some point in the future.

Suggestions please...

----------

Actually, could you even boot off of a 64gb SD card and then use a normal external HD for storage?

2. Crugga macrumors regular

Personally id keep the hardrive and sell it for spares but thats just me. Even bits like the case and keys + other non crucial running parts etc have real good value to someone that rebuilds and resells. Imo id rather a couple of hundred pounds(dollars, euros) in my pocket and get rid of it.

3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

sell it spares or repair. Someone may have one with a good screen but broken logic board and may be able to make one good laptop out of the two

I'm dubious about what was said about replacing the internal SSD. that said, they are extremely expensive. So it is unlikely to be cost effective.

4. EdBarnacle thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in Bangkok, there's not much of 2nd hand market here.