What would YOU do with unlockable iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mindyish, Nov 14, 2011.

1. mindyish macrumors member

I bought an iphone 4 at a super great price from someone on ebay who needed quick cash to get the 4s. However, they already had restored and upgraded to ios 5 and now I am sutck with no blobs and baseband 4.11.08 and since I still have my unlocked 3gs on 4.3.3. I have just been trying to be patient but if there will not be a way (gevey or Dev team) to unlock anytime soon, I don't want to keep carrying around 2 iphones. I love ios 5 and the iphone 4 way better than the 3gs so I use it for everything BUT phone calls and texts and so far its not horrible but its because I kept telling myself, just a few months or so, I would be able to unlock it.

Is it really not likely that 4.11.08 could be unlocked within the next few months? If not, what you would do? Sell? What is the best way to find an iphone 4 with unlockable baseband? Do I ask the seller not to upgrade to ios 5? Most sellers want to completely restore to protect their privacy so won't just erase all data. Is there a way to restore without updating firmware if the iphone isn't already jailbroken?

Am I stuck only looking for phones that have been previously jailbroken and have all blobs saved? or someone willing not to restore? (unlikely)

I can't afford a factory unlocked iphone and am locked in with tmobile and can't imagine using anything other than an iphone now.

What would YOU do?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt sit there and keep waiting.
    Who knows if or when they will release an unlock for the i4.
    And blobs dont downgrade the baseband, just the firmware. So if the iphone in question does not have an unlockable baseband previous saved shsh blobs are useless.

3. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am sitting in the exact same boat as you, every detail of your story.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Before you do anything extreme like selling, do a hard (I repeat,,,,,HARD) search for someone who may want to trade iP4 with old baseband and firmware, there are plenty of user out there that don't keep up with this stuff (i dated a girl last week that was still running a very old version of iOS). You may need to offer some cash in top of it or something like that. but still will be better for you at the end.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You're not dating her anymore? :p

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He goes thru girlfriends quick:D
    I think he started talking to her cause of the old firmware version her iphone was running:D

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah i can't stand a girl that doesn't keep up with iOS versions!.... :cool:

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, tells a lot about a chick not keeping up with stuff like that:D

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Absolutly...then i will have to come back here and start a thread asking..."OMG my girlfriend just updated my Iphone to 6.7, can I still unlock it??" LOL :rolleyes:

10. mindyish thread starter macrumors member

Anyone hear about hardware unlocking? Where can that be done at if such thing exists?

11. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is there anything wrong with it? Try and brick it go to genius say you were uping to ios5 and it froze.

Hopefully they still have old refurbs

12. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

never happen.

13. iFactoryUnlock macrumors newbie

iFactoryUnlock

Of course the most recent untethered jailbreak is making the rounds. What network is it locked to?

14. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

update your 3GS to 5.0.1 using redsn0w or pwnage tool. you'll get most of the features of ios5 and it should tide you over until an unlock comes out or you manage to sell/trade your iphone 4.

15. mindyish thread starter macrumors member

I am with t-mobile. Unfortunately my 3gs now needs some repair as the usb port went out so it no longer will charge. I have ordered this part but until I can replace it now I am out a phone and have two iphones now which can't be used for calls. I have had my iphone 4 since oct and sucks that it can only be used as an ipod touch but then again, I should have done more research before the purchase and made sure the seller wasn't going to update without preserving BB but did my homework a little too late. Maybe one day I can use it. I have thought about offering a trade on craigslist my iphone 4 32 gb for an unlocked 16 thought maybe someone who doesn't rely on an unlock who hasn't updated to 5.0 would be willing to trade for the extra gb's but not sure if thats a good idea. Meantime, I must say I still get a lot of use as a mobile internet device and tons of apps I use to keep track of things daily and as a pda and calendar with alerts and such. Trying to be patient.

16. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

OP, if I was you, I will just sell the 3GS & the 4 and you almost have enough money to buy a factory unlocked 4s, you will then dont have to worry about it's baseband any longer and you can update it as many time as you want.