What would you do with your 2011 MacBook Pro 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by triple-tap, Sep 17, 2014.

  1. triple-tap macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2013
    #1
    given the number of issues arising about the graphics issues /GPU failures on the 2011 MBP 15" models, I decided to get rid of mine while it is still in perfect, functioning shape.

    As such, Amazon has offered me $700 in trade-in credit if I send it to them. This is for a laptop in "excellent condition", and I truly believe mine meets that condition. I have also instructed them to return it to me if they do not agree in the condition of the macbook.

    Anyway, before I send it out, I thought I would get some opinions? Should I go through with this? If I do, is it worth the restriction in only buying a new apple computer from Amazon?

    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

    GoldfishRT

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2014
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #2
    You could get a hell of a lot more money on eBay or selling it yourself than trading it in.

    Otherwise, I guess it just comes down to what you're comfortable with.

    I bought mine broken and got it fixed but I'm not too worried about it for the future. At least not yet. 36 days left in the repair warranty. :p
     
  3. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2013
    #3
    The problem with ebay is shady buyer who file bogus complaints about the items you sell, the ebay fees are wayyyyyy too high anymore, and I am looking for a more prompt gratification.

    I feel that ~700 is about the average that most people are accepting for my specific model nowadays (remember, this is 3 years old).
     
  4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    Location:
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    #4
    Go with it, before it fails. I got bummed by Radeongate also, but had to send it in for a reball to resurrect it since I needed the antiglare display that I BTO-ed my MBP with.
     
  5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #5
    How about Craigslist or a local free classified service?

    On my local one people seem to be asking about 1200 for them. Doubt they're getting the asking price, but maybe about 1000 final price?

    http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/macbook-pro-15-2011/k0l9004?sort=priceDesc
     
  6. Lachhh macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2014
    Location:
    Mainland Europe
    #6
    I was about to recommend this, too. Seriously OP, go for that. Meet up in person with the buyer and take his cash. You'll make a considerable amount more than what Amazon will ever offer you.
     
  7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2012
    #7
    Tbh, if your 2011 was going to fail because of the graphics issue, it probably would have started showing signs by now.

    Not sure I'd want to sell a working laptop for less than it's worth because of a problem which may or may not happen in the future, and when it does go, the cost is ~$300.
     
  8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #8
    Although you're not likely to get mugged for a 3-year-old MBP, these are good tips to follow:

    1. Meet in public - and that doesn't mean a back alley. A Starbucks, a McDonald's, an Apple store.

    2. If in Canada, (which you're not) use Interac money transfer. The buyer can't file a claim afterwards. Don't know if there's an American inter-bank transfer system that works the same way. Be careful about cash and forget about cheques.
     
  9. Badrottie Suspended

    Badrottie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #9
    Whenever you plan to sell, be sure you tell them there will be GPU issue in the future so they know you are a honest seller. :apple:
     
  10. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2013
    #10
    I am no stranger to craigslist, but I've had it on our local CL for about 3 weeks at $850. Nothing but lowball offers and spam.

    And I appreciate the insight about the GPu failure (if it was going to, it would have already done so), BUT BUT BUT... how many other mac owners thought the same thing the week before their macbook pro gave out?

    I am just willing to risk the ~$700 loss I would take if it did fail next week.

    Also, the ~$300 fix:
    1) where are you getting a new logic board for $300?
    2) any fix is only temporary, with reports stating that the replacement boards only last a few months more.

    ----------


    I always have another person watching from a car when I meet for a craigslist deal, and I ALWAYS carry (esp. now that I am in south florida)
     
  11. tjhassan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2014

Share This Page