What would you do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Shasta McNasty, Dec 20, 2010.

  1. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

    Shasta McNasty

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Cali
    #1
    Hello all, for the past two weeks or so ive had my 2010 13" uMBP 2.4ghz 250gb on craigslist in an attempt to trade it for the new 11" macbook air. Tonight i was texted an offer on trading my mbp for a 13" 1.86 256gb air, plus $300 cash on my end. I said no, saying it was too much cash, and long story short we agreed about my macbook pro and $160 cash, for his 13" air. The air was brand new in the box. Still had the clear plastic around it and everything. Serial numbers all matched so im sure it wasnt stolen. Anyways, i was set on getting the 11" so im wondering if i should sell this one and get the 11" "ultimate" or keep this guy? What do you guys think? What would you do?

    (Brief info about me, im a college student, only have about 2 gigs worth of pics, and 20 or so gigs of music. I plan on getting an iMac whenever they are refreshed in 2011. I mostly use the computer for email, internet, itunes and various office programs)

    Thanks for any and all opinions expressed!
     
  2. INEEDANOTEBOOK, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

    INEEDANOTEBOOK macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Location:
    Icy City
    #2

    Why not waiting for an offer with an air 11, if that's what you want? I would not rush.
     
  3. JohnRead macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    #3
    I think you got a good deal, so no need to worry about value.

    I have been so pleasantly surprised by my 13" MBA - every day I am impressed by its capabilities and portability.

    You might consider using the 13" MBA for a while and see if it fits your needs. It's a faster and more powerful unit than the 11", which is always welcome, and the difference between it and your former MBP may offset the slightly smaller form factor of the 11".
     
  4. BeyondtheTech, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

    BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

    BeyondtheTech

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #5
    As much as I love my 11.6" Air, I think you should be happy with the 13.3". Given the hassle to get it and possibly going through another one to get to the 11.6", I think the increased CPU performance, larger screen resolution, greater battery life, and integrated SD card slot outweigh the 0.6 oz increase in weight and 1-1.5" height/width difference.

    Mind you, you went from a MBP to an MBA. There's a big reduction in size and weight in that alone, I don't think you'd feel much difference going smaller.

    By the way, I like your nickname!
     
  5. Shasta McNasty thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Shasta McNasty

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Cali
    #6
    Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah i may just end up keeping this one. It seems so much better than my macbook pro and does everything id like. This one i feel id be able to keep much longer than the 11" because of the better specs and double the memory. I just wanted to really see if there were any regrets from people on those who went from 13 to 11 or 11 to 13. Thanks again all!
     
  6. dmelgar macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    #7
    I was very undecided. I have a 13" MBP. Bought an 11 MBA, thought it was too small, bought a 13" MBA instead. Disliked it as soon as i got it home. Wasn't different enough from my 13" MBP. Didn't seem more portable at all. I realized i had used the heck out of the 11".

    Ended up going back and getting an 11" MBA and couldn't be happier. It's plenty powerful for me and it feels much more portable than the 13" MBA. YMMV.
     
  7. Shasta McNasty thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Shasta McNasty

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Cali
    #8
    Yeah im pretty sure im just going to end up keeping this one. The difference from the 11 to 13 is minimal in terms of size, plus i love the better battery life, and screen resolution. I dont know why people complain about the fans on the 13". I have yet to hear them AT ALL.
     
  8. Aboo macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #9
    I am not sure based on your post whether you actually completed the trade for the 13" Air. If you did and its still shrink wrapped, you can take it back to an Apple Store and swap it for the 11" model. If there is any price difference, you will have to pay that, or if your 13" is worth more, they will give you the difference as a gift card.
     
  9. peapody macrumors 68040

    peapody

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2007
    Location:
    baltimore, md
    #10
    Crazy how the texter wants a uMBP for a new MBA for just $160 more on top of the trade. Great deal if it works out.
     
  10. Shasta McNasty thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Shasta McNasty

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Cali
    #11
    Yeah at the start of the post I had the 13" air. The trade went through as stated. My uMBP 13" and $160 for the 13" air higher model. It's opened now and I've been using it the past week and a half. I was still contemplating on getting an 11.6" but I'm sure now if I try to return to apple they would charge me a restock fee for "downgrading" in terms of price of the machine and it's open box. What do you guys think?
     

Share This Page