What would you do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by themac23, Mar 30, 2011.

1. themac23 macrumors regular

During the course of getting a replacement of my MBP Apple has screwed up a few times including sending me the wrong bto. So now to make up for it they stated that i can upgrade to the 2.3ghz for free or take 8gb of ram for free. I told them i would take the ram but am i making the right decision seeing as i can just add the extra ram fairly cheap but cannot step up the processor? I have until tomorrow morning to change my mind.

What would you do?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd take the processor upgrade. It's about $150 more for that than to replace the RAM yourself, so I'd say that. Plus, like you said, the CPU can't be changed. It's not an amazing difference between the two processors, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

3. sugarboylovemac macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

4. tcador macrumors regular

Of those choices, definitely take the processor upgrade.

5. themac23 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. I didnt expect everyone to state to take the processor seeing as everyone is against the processor upgrade saying you wont notice a difference so whats the use. I am going to take the processor then. It does seem like the logical choice, and the extra cache cant hurt. I tried for the 256gb ssd but they wouldnt go for that. Lol. I did opt for the 128gb ssd even though i had to pay $100 for it.

6. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Processor, hands down. You can get 8GB of RAM for under $100 now. That processor can't ever be changed. Take it while you can.

7. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Processor. You can upgrade RAM yourself but you can't upgrade processor yourself.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

as others have said, Processor. RAM is like $65 or so.

If you were to ask about what to get if you were paying for it, than the RAM would be the choice, but since it is free...

9. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

like everybody else

Processor upgrade

although you wont notice that much different(depends on what you're working on) at least its future proof

10. themac23 thread starter macrumors regular

Listen to this. So I emailed my rep last night so she would get the message this morning that I wanted the 2.3ghz processor upgrade instead of the RAM. She calls me today and states that offer is no longer on the table. What?? Why?? The order hasn't even been placed. She wouldn't give me a reason so I asked to speak with a senior advisor. Mind you, they offered those options to me; I didn't outright ask for them. So the senior advisor tells me that my rep made the mistake of offering me the processor and was not authorized to do so. This is the same rep who placed my first order wrong which led to me receiving the wrong laptop. Anyways, the senior advisor stated that they were willing to give me a $300 upgrade of anything and I already wanted the hi-res glossy screen so I had $200 left to spend. Ultimately, I decided to just pay $50 for the upgraded processor because the upgrade is normally $250, and $100 for the 128gb SSD. Still not bad coming from a 2009 Unibody that couldn't be repaired and only coming out of pocket $150.

The thing that surprised me is that even though Apple made the mistake of initially offering me the upgraded 2.3ghz processor for free along side the hi-res screen, they wouldn't honor it. The senior advisor kept stating that is not Apples normal protocol, but he was retracting the offer to me. I didn't understand why, but I couldn't argue because I was getting $300 in upgrades anyways. I just hope my CTO doesn't have any issues such as dead pixels and such when it arrives.