What Would You Do ??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by krawfo, Jun 7, 2011.

1. krawfo macrumors regular

I purchased a new 27" iMac 3 weeks ago. I took it out of the box, plugged it in and NOTHING. I finally got it to power on. Everything worked fine for a couple of days and then the same thing happened again. I decided to take it in to the Apple store.
    They checked it out and naturally, could not reproduce the problem nor could they find anything wrong when they tested it.
    I have heard about Apple's "legendary service" but am a bit miffed that they are giving me my machine back without doing anything. I guess I could send it back to the online seller I purchased it from but don't want to go through the hassle of re-installing Parallels, Windows, etc.
    Does anyone have any other ideas?
    THanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What do you want them to do? If their diagnostics don't return anything of interest and you are unable to reproduce the problem, I dont' see how you can complain about the service.

If I had to guess, it's probably the power outlet you're using or there is a loose connection somewhere. Try using a different outlet and plugging all of your cables in firmly.

3. MTI macrumors 65816

When you got it back home from the store, plugged it in, what happened? Has the problem persisted?

4. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

You "finally got it to power on". How? What did you do differently?

5. krawfo thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried several different outlets so that's not the problem. I tried wiggling the power cord where it enters the back of the computer - no joy. The first time I got it running I had to turn the unit over to read the SN to support. When I turned it back up on the base it powered up. I honestly don't remember what I did the second time.
    I was hoping that a good tech. could say "Your problem most likely is a bad x,y, or z. Let's replace x and see if the problem returns.

6. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Have you filmed this? I mean if you film someone pressing the power button (make sure the click can be heard) and then just film the output I'd have thought that was enough evidence.

7. mackage macrumors 6502

I know this doesn't help, but I think the error you made was not asking for a replacement within your 14 days return period. You would have had no problem getting one.

However, I can bet that if you call Applecare and complain you will get a replacement.

8. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Came here to say this. But on a second read, the wording makes it seem as if the OP just received the iMac and has been having problems in the last couple of days.

Clarification on that? Have you had the iMac for 3 weeks or was part of that shipping time?

9. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

just return it, can you take it to the store?

10. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Like others have said document it by recording it. Every bit of it including plugging it into the wall. You could also plug something else into the wall to demonstrate that its not the sockets issue. Show it to apple and they should replace it.

11. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

why don't you just exchange it? You only received it for a few days right? If they say nothings wrong and won't exchange it for you, just return it and repurchase...