What would you do?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tilstip, Sep 7, 2008.

1. tilstip macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need some recommendations.

I just bought a late 2007 MacPro with these specs:

- 2 x Quad Core XEON 3,0 Ghz
    - 7 GB RAM (667 mhz)
    - 250 GB HD
    - ATI RADEON 9700 512 MB

This machine is brand new and has Apple Warranty until August 2009.
    Because of an insolvency of a Apple reseller (at least this is what the seller told me) I got it for 1900 EUR (2700$).

The mac pro just arrived yesterday and besides that it is louder than I thought it is great.

I need it for heavy photography work in Lightroom and Photoshop and I also edit in Final Cut Pro.

A problem is that this machine consumes a lot of power. The 3Ghz 2007 XEONs use 120W each. That's a lot more what todays Mac Pros consume.
    (My original intention before I got this special offer was to buy the latest MacPro with only 4 Cores, which would have resulted to be approx. the same price I paid now.)

Then today I read some news that Intel is releasing new 6-Core XEONs in 2 weeks. That made me think if I should sell my new Mac Pro on Ebay and, with some luck, get 200-400$ more for it than I paid and then hope that Apple will update their Mac Pros in the next weeks and will drop prices for the 8cores.

Are there any rumors that Apple will release updated Mac Pros in the next weeks?

How does my 2007 Mac Pro compare to the latest (early 2008) release?
    Is there a significant difference between 667mhz and 800mhz RAM?
    How does my Radeon 9700 512MB compare to the Radon 2600HD?

Or is there any other major advantage of the 2008 model?

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Number one - thats a pretty ood deal

number two - I doubt we'll see upgraded Mac Pro's until i7 (due this time next year).

The Mac Pro 2xQuad 3.0 is a beastie - not really worth upgrading right now.

enjoy it for a year, and then if its not fast enough for ya - upgrade.

The Radeons are only really different if you are gaming. if not then you should not see a great benefit unless you use apps that use the GPU for accelerated output (CAD, Final Cut etc)

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

You might want to upgrade the graphics card for Final Cut Pro, and figure out if the HDD situation is adequate. Other than that, I think you'll be fine. :)

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I assume you have the Radeon X1900 XT...?
    The ATi Radeon 9700 is a grfx card shipped with MDD G4's with AGP 4x and ADC support.

But, you have one terrific Mac! :)

The Radeon X1900 XT is a way better card than the 2600 HD. It might be of an older generation, but it was the high-end card of that generation, and the 2600 HD is the low-end of its generation.

The X1900 XT is better at Core Image apps (like Motion) than even the nVidia GeForce 8800 GT!! (but the GeForce is better at Windows gaming, though... :rolleyes:)

Only the Radeon HD 3870 will be a better overall card....

5. tilstip thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right. I totally mixed up the graphics card.
    It is an ATI Radeon X1900. But without the "XT" extension. Any significant difference?

250 GB is of course way too small for me. I'm thinking about going for a 300GB VelociRaptor (since there is a new revision which will fit into the mac pro without modification) as system drive and two 1TB Samsung F1 for data.

6. jwt macrumors 6502

It should also be noted that the new 6-core chips are $3000 ea.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

IIRC the only Mac Pro version of the 1900 series was the X1900 XT.
    There was an X1900 made for the G5, but that one only had 256 MB VRAM, and is not Mac x86 compatible.
    So, if yours is a "normal" Mac Pro version of the X1900, you have the 512 MB VRAM X1900 XT! :cool:

And you're absolutely correct on the HD's. You have 4 internal S-ATA drive bays to play with, so get your ideal config!

8. tilstip thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much! I really appreciated your help.
    That doesn't mean that this thread is closed :)