What would you do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by virgomac, Feb 5, 2009.

1. virgomac macrumors member

Ok, I am at a stand still with a buyers delema and wondering what you would choose :)

These are my options: (Keep in mind i currently have a new aluminum macbook)

New iMac when they are released: I don't play any online games anymore, I just don't have time for them. No games that I even want to play are being released for at least a year (KOTOR online or Champions or DC Universe) Who knows there might even be 2 Imac refreshes by then. Other than that the only real intensive work I do is video work. The bigger graphics card will be nice but only would really just cut the time down, nothing major.

Price Tag: $2200

OR

Apple LED Cinima Display: Would be nice to have a bigger work display, but lacking in the "bigness' when playing games or movies.
    Xbox for my gaming when the urge hits

Price Tag: @1100

OR

40" LCD TV: Definatly would be nice to game on and watch movies. I "could" hook up the macbook to it, and work off it with the bluetooth keyboard, but no idea who "clean" the picture would be doing this
    Xbox for my gaming needs

Price Tag: @1300

So....of those 3 options, what would YOU do?

2. jdstoddard macrumors member

Go with the display and hook up your Macbook to it when you're at home....instant desktop.:apple:

3. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

The apple cinema display is $900. I would go for that or the imac

4. jdstoddard macrumors member

I think he was including the cost of the xbox in there.

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The second one.
    And don't get the XBOX Arcade system, it doesn't have a hard drive. Lol. It just have 256GB of on board storage.

Although, you may want to wait until the new iMacs come out to see what's new, especially if you plan on getting the 24" if you go with the first option.

6. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

if you dont need an imac..then dont get one. i know i know...i want one as well...just to have it sit there on my desk...looking all pretty. but you dont do anything that would need an imac more than your new macbook, other than that minor video editing youre talking about. nothing major, like you said.

with you passing up that option..a hundred bucks more and you can get option 2 AND 3...

but if i had to pick, id get the apple display now. then wait for circuit city to drop their liquidation prices even more.

thats what i would do.

7. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

A quick thing to note here, unless routed through the MacBook via something like an EyeTV, an Xbox won't work with the Cinema Display.

9. virgomac thread starter macrumors member

Guess its going to come down to if i want productive or fun

Productive: Bigger display (LED LCD) while working on projects and work would be very nice, be more productive while I'm at home. Would also be passable to watch the odd DVD here and there, but not something you would really consider a home experience.

Fun: More enjoyable for DVD watching and Xbox, but lacking a bit in the productivity I think. I "could" hook up the macbook to it and have a rather large display, it does have a 1980xwhatever resolution. But with it not being at an actual desk and having all my "work" around me, I doubt it would be very productive. Aside from not knowing how the screen quality would be as a monitor. Even with that resolution, no idea if text would be as clear as a regular monitor.