What would you do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spencewc, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Spencewc macrumors newbie

Just a quick question out of curiosity.

I have an existing macbook 2007 model, and am looking to upgrade. Would you:

A). Keep the MacBook for now and get a new iMac i5 (so you had a big one for home, and could carry the small one around to school etc)

B). Upgrade to a new MacBook Pro when they get released and just have 1 computer.

I figured that if I sold my macbook it would bring the MacBook Pro option down to the same price as the iMac (taking into account increased amount for Applecare etc.). So out the pocket choices A and B would cost within a hundred bucks.

What would you do? A or B? I can't decide....

I do need a laptop for my master's program, but it's mostly taking notes etc. so any laptop would do, but at home I play games and mess with video and photography, so would like a computer that could handle that as well.

2. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

A

especially if you'd be screwed if something happened to your computer.. always good to have a backup if you need a computer.

3. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Get the iMac. It's always nice to have a good desktop at home and nice laptop for portable reasons. I have a 27" C2D iMac and I just picked up a 13" MBP about a week ago. Im comfortable.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would do B cause I love my MBP

But either option is valid and would work nicely

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I'm in your position as well and considered the iMac recently. But really, think about it. How tasty will a new MBP be when it comes out ;)

6. Spencewc thread starter macrumors newbie

See that's the thing, is that I bet when they come out the specs will be very similar, and may be close performance wise (not sure). I have an old dell 24" screen here I could connect the laptop to, but it wouldn't compare to the iMac's new screen.

I'm leaning more towards A, just because then if my macbook gets stolen or broken lugging it around I won't be in such a state of panic, however there would be applecare. I wouldn't want to feel bad when the new mbp comes out either, especially if they had like bluray or something 'better' than the imac.

Blah.... I wish they'd just come out with the Macbook pro next Tuesday so then I could do a good comparison.

7. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I went back and forth between having a desktop and a laptop, and just having a laptop and I actually prefer the latter. I have my mac mini as a mediacenter and my macbookpro is my main computer. When I'm at home it gets connected to my 24" ACD and when I need to go to class everything is there just the way I left it. I hated typing papers and stuff on my desktop and forgetting to transfer them to my macbook, or even worse when I wanted to study my notes on my desktop I had to keep transferring files. It became a pain after a while.

8. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

How about option C? High end MBP (when they are released) and an external display for use at home.

I myself just came from a two computer setup to a single computer setup, and I'm liking it more and more.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think it would be best if you just made your decision when the new lineup is released. Why does this decision need to be made right now? You've got a working computer so I don't see what the emergency is--except that you want to satisfy a buying impulse.

10. njean777 macrumors 6502

i would personally get the imac, the reason why is because its better to have 2 computers then 1 :D

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Make a poll. It's easier to know the results, rather than scrolling and reading each one :p

I would choose A. I like 2 different devices for 2 different things...plus portability is always great :D