Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would like most in the new MBAs?

• Total voters

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
The CPU and graphics are more than adequate for me. I kind of like the limited storage, means I'm less likely to let crap pile up that I really don't need. IMO none of these things are desperately needed. I don't have any USB 3.0 devices yet for example. I guess I'm biased though, I think these new Airs are the sexiest Macs ever. Beautifully minimalistic without sacrificing usability and performance.

diablo2112

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
First, let's repeal the laws of Thermodynamics. They're just pesky, and prevent us from all sorts of upgrades which would make the MBA just perfect. After we've done this, then a 1000 hour battery, the size of a credit card, recharged by the heat of your palms and typing, will be really easy. Ditto much of your other requests.

You know, most of what you asked for is dumb-as-dirt both desirable and wishful. Simple fact, the MBA is a new standard in design engineering, which involves trading off dozens (hundreds) of choices and features to reach an optimum set.

Technology will progress, and the next update, we'll see a new optimization. Until then, accept the MBA for what it is - a fine, ultraportable computer that does a large number of things exceptionally well.

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
First, let's repeal the laws of Thermodynamics. They're just pesky, and prevent us from all sorts of upgrades which would make the MBA just perfect. After we've done this, then a 1000 hour battery, the size of a credit card, recharged by the heat of your palms and typing, will be really easy. Ditto much of your other requests.

You know, most of what you asked for is dumb-as-dirt both desirable and wishful. Simple fact, the MBA is a new standard in design engineering, which involves trading off dozens (hundreds) of choices and features to reach an optimum set.

Technology will progress, and the next update, we'll see a new optimization. Until then, accept the MBA for what it is - a fine, ultraportable computer that does a large number of things exceptionally well.

But we can still dream can't we? :D

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I probably actully want a MacBook air pro, but here's what I want. I think it's silly that it's a wedge, keep it 0.68" the whole way, keep all the ports on one side, throw in an Ethernet port. Core I-series processor and devote any remaining space to a bigger battery.

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
I probably actully want a MacBook air pro, but here's what I want. I think it's silly that it's a wedge, keep it 0.68" the whole way, keep all the ports on one side, throw in an Ethernet port. Core I-series processor and devote any remaining space to a bigger battery.

Amen. The wedge is only some kind of optical illusion to make it look super thin, but at the cost of ports, battery life and processor speed, amongst other things. Just keep it the same size and add those things instead. It would still be thinner than an MBP, but more usable, and take up almost exactly the same space on your desk or in your bag.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Frankly I'm surprised with the number of people missing the backlit keys. I wod have preferred them (especially during flights) but it's certainly not something I miss greatly, and far lower a priority than almost every other choice there. Especially the thin heterogeneous film of glandular secretion option that 17 of you so far have selected.

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
Frankly I'm surprised with the number of people missing the backlit keys. I wod have preferred them (especially during flights) but it's certainly not something I miss greatly, and far lower a priority than almost every other choice there. Especially the thin heterogeneous film of glandular secretion option that 17 of you so far have selected.

Same here... I have had MacBooks with backlighting for years now, and in all that time I have never used it. It's certainly a very low priority for me. Also I believe that the silver reflective printing they use on the new Airs might really help a lot anyway... A backlight is certainly cool, but not something I require.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
The leader, at 86 votes so far is the backlit keyboard.

Apple made a big mistake and lost some sales by omitting it in this update, as evidenced by postings on Apple's official forums. People, like myself, decided not to buy (or upgrade) because of it. Others, upon learning the backlit keyboard was surreptitiously absent, canceled their orders.

I can only speak for myself when I say I was fully ready to EBay my MBA Rev. C for a new 13" MBA, but have decided to wait until Apple refreshed the MBA line with a backlit keyboard. 80% of the time my MBA rests on my Griffin Elevator which sits atop my chest while lying in bed, and the backlit keyboard is an invaluable feature to me.

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
The leader, at 86 votes so far is the backlit keyboard.

Apple made a big mistake and lost some sales by omitting it in this update, as evidenced by postings on Apple's official forums. People, like myself, decided not to buy (or upgrade) because of it. Others, upon learning the backlit keyboard was surreptitiously absent, canceled their orders.

I can only speak for myself when I say I was fully ready to EBay my MBA Rev. C for a new 13" MBA, but have decided to wait until Apple refreshed the MBA line with a backlit keyboard. 80% of the time my MBA rests on my Griffin Elevator which sits atop my chest while lying in bed, and the backlit keyboard is an invaluable feature to me.
This just means that any future MacBook Air Pros will need to have a backlit keyboard. I just don't see Apple increasing the cost and size of the current Airs.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This just means that any future MacBook Air Pros will need to have a backlit keyboard. I just don't see Apple increasing the cost and size of the current Airs.

I don't think adding the backlight would change the size much. I'm guessing Apple just figured it was an easy way to boost margins (kind of like removing the Firewire in the original aluminum MacBook) without losing too many sales. If the consumer reaction is the same as in the MacBook (lots of complaints), my guess is that they might add it back in. However, the new Air might attract a lot of buyers at the current price so Apple may just relegate backlighting to the "Pro" line (which I think will get the "Air" treatment next year).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

I think you just described the early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" model (except it will also include a Firewire 800 port).

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Antiglare option

I think you just described the early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" model (except it will also include a Firewire 800 port).

1) Antiglare
2) Backlit keyboard
3) Built in 10/100/1000 Ethernet
4) FW800

What it doesn't need: faster CPU.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I wish they had an option on the 11.6" of a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo Processor an 8GB of RAM, as well as 256GB SSD. That would be a very compelling machine and I would probably pay $2000 just to have one :D

The antiglare option would have been super-nice too.

I lived in the era of PowerBooks for years, so backlit keyboard is not that big a deal for me. When I hop into bed I am ready to GO TO SLEEP, not play on my MacBook Air, the only place a backlit keyboard might be of benefit to me is if I was a student in a dark classroom or lecture hall with the lights off.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
1) Antiglare
2) Backlit keyboard
3) Built in 10/100/1000 Ethernet
4) FW800

What it doesn't need: faster CPU.

The "Pro" ought to include something better than the aging Core 2 Duo. I'm definitely expecting the 13" to get the Core i3 or i5 in 2011.

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009

Assuming of course they drop the optical drive, put the space to good use (like more battery) and add an i3 while making it thinner, then you're probably right, and I would be pleased as punch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.