What would you eradicate?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gilkisson, Jun 11, 2010.

1. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Suddenly, you find yourself possessed with the power to totally rid the planet of one species, one creature. This is your chance. You lift your face to the moonless night and laugh a shrill cry of victory, for you are about to cause the extinction of....

What? What is your candidate for the #1 "We'd be better of without" list?

Fleas?
    Lice?
    Cockroaches?
    Republicans? (ok, just kidding:D )
    Democrats? (equal time :D )
    Mosquitos?
    Humans?

What would you kill off? And if you feel like it, why?

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Spiders.

Why?: Because I have a debilitating phobia of spiders. If I see a spider in a room, and it gets away before I kill it, I can't go back into the room until either I see it so I can kill it, or I see someone else kill it. They're just disgusting, creepy creatures, that do not deserve a spot on earth IMO.

Don

3. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Since all species have evolved into interdependence, I could not eradicate one without affecting another. Although I would give garden slugs serious thought.

5. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

6. gilkisson thread starter macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Just the parasite, or the carrier thereof?

7. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

8. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I would save the world from bees. I can live without honey. And I am always told by my persistent father "Don't make it mad and there is nothing wrong" :rolleyes:. I just cant stand them.

9. gilkisson thread starter macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I seriously snorted a laugh. Out my nose*. Well done.

*Thankfully, I had already swallowed the gulp of fine beer previously in my mouth... had you caused it to be nasally expressed, we would have words...

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Unfortunately, bees also happen to be the chief pollinator for about 1/2 of the world's food supply. Can you live without food?

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

add ticks for me lol
    Sadly bees are disappearing:( I love bees. So nice....now hornets are mean lil buggers!

I'd probably rid the world of BP.....BADA CHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. gilkisson thread starter macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Between Durango and Silverton Colorado, waaay the heck up on the Divide, in June of about 1977 or so, I had the most ginormous tick burrowed into my lower backside. So I can see your point here..

Hopefully, bees are making a comeback. Unfortunately, they will be at least partially "africanized" bees. They'll do the job, just meaner than hell. Like cab drivers with a stinger.

14. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Don't see the point of eradicating a species that by itself doesn't cause direct harm.

You can reduce the mean lifespan of a given anopheles population by 25%, disrupting the life cycle of the parasite and achieve local plasmodium eradication without destroying another species, which, on the whole, I would say I'm philosophically against.

Besides, if you get rid of an entire species complex of carriers, something's gonna move in to fulfill that ecological niche, which can bring with it a whole new set of problems.

So no, just plasmodium falciparum, specifically.

Yeah, that's my final answer.

15. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Hmmmmm, I change my mind. Hornets. This one to be exact-Asian Giant Hornet *Shudders*
    [​IMG]

16. gilkisson thread starter macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Can't find fault there. However, by reducing the lifespan of the anopheles mosquito by an amount sufficient to disrupt the life-cycle of the parasite it carries.. does that not invite another organism to move in and take the place of the anopheles? I honestly don't know.

But, fair enough. This is wave-of-the-wand stuff, so, yeah, plasmodium is gone in your world. As far as I know, nothing depends on it as a food source, so yeah, it's toast!

Ho...Ly...Crap.

17. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

People with no common sense.

I don't think an explanation is needed. :)

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Carnies. Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands...

19. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

No. Here's the way it works. Well, the basics, anyway.

Every female adult anopheles starts out clean, without the parasite. It must pick up the parasite from a parasite carrying human by taking a blood meal. The blood is required for its eggs to develop. The parasites are not. Not every meal (human) carries the parasite. The mosquito can only transmit the the plasmodium parasite after it itself has been infected. Typically, in the wild, the female mosquito lives 7-14 days, (can be more, can be less, depending on conditions) which means that the female anopheles takes somewhere between 1-4(+) blood meals.

The female that takes 1 blood meal is a non factor. Even if the human that it feeds on was infected and transmitted the parasite to the mosquito, the mosquito never transmits the parasite to a human. This mosquito is a transmissive dead end. And remember, not every human it takes a meal from is a host.

With each successive human it takes a meal from, the chances increase that the mosquito picks up the parasite. So the really dangerous mosquitos are the older mosquitos, the ones that have poked multiple humans.

Furthermore, the parasite takes time to develop and travel through the mosquito for the mosquito itself to become transmissive, which depending on the environmental conditions, can be anywhere from one to three weeks.

So if you reduce the overall lifespan by just a fraction, you reduce the number of dangerous, transmissive mosquitoes and at a given point for a given environment, and you reduce overall transmission. Which reduces the number of human carriers, which reduces the number of mosquitos that pick up the parasite, so on. Every environment has a certain point on the curve at which the problem more or less solves itself. The idea is to force the mosquito into a faster adult life cycle. Larvae, we don't care so much about. They might actually be useful and fulfill an ecological niche that we haven't really studied.

That's the principle, anyway.

/epi lecture for the day

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

21. unid macrumors regular

*I bow down*

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

23. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness