What would you get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AsDubsRaiders, Dec 9, 2013.

1. AsDubsRaiders macrumors newbie

...if you weren't buying a Mac?

Looking for something for a grad student. Some requirements

Under $1000
    Portable, will be carrying from home, school, lab, coffee house, etc
    Decent battery, but would probably be able to keep plugged in
    Decent graphic card for light gaming

A refurbished Mac Air is a candidate, but wondering what else I can suggest.

Thanks for the advice!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I thought the point was non-Mac? :)

I would go with something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03VVTSAP03046454B7WG

More than enough for grad school, portable, and nice.

3. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

an iPad

----------

i posted that jokingly but i looked again and it does actually fit all the criteria you listed :)

4. AsDubsRaiders thread starter macrumors newbie

Non-Mac if they didn't want to switch. If he is open to it, than Macbook Air over your suggested link, I would think.

----------

He already has one. Full functional laptop needed.
    Current laptop is having trouble being alive.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd buy an MB Air then, to be honest.

I've done grad school. I don't think an iPad would be suitable outside the classroom. Major research projects and cataloging all sources for my thesis are tasks that simply feel like they'd be better suited for a laptop.

6. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

I would never have survived on an iPad.

13MBA.

7. AsDubsRaiders thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Gudi macrumors 68020

Gudi

A new MacBook Air. (Forget about your stupid $1000 limit and enjoy 12hrs battery life and a fast PCIe SSD.)
    A used MacBook Air. (Forget about new and refurb and be happy with great price-quality ratio of older hardware.)

Do not suggest something else.
    A piece of junk.

9. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

You have a ton of options.. I would stray away from HP as my personal experience with them is terrible.

I would choose a Lenovo

lol'd hard

10. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I used Lenovos for years and it's about the only Windows laptop I would consider. Horrible trackpad but I always disabled it and used the track point or a mouse.

11. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Was going to suggest the thinkpad carbon x1 but it seems its just a bit over budget

12. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I would like to suggest: Spend an additional 99 dollars and get a 13.3" MacBook Air.

13. Gudi, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

Gudi macrumors 68020

Gudi

It's funny cause it's true. :D
    Wait. Isn't he/she than eligible for education pricing?

Apple Store for Education – 13-inch MacBook Air ($1049)

If you do a little research, you will even find a reseller eager to give an additional $50 discount to meet the magic price point of $999 for students. And the essential iWork apps are free with purchase of new hardware.

Pages, Numbers and Keynote

So go with new-edu, not refurb.

14. AsDubsRaiders thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. I'll see if I can convince him to get a Mac.

I switched to :apple: years ago and never looked back. If he switches, great. If not, his lost (lol) but I was just curious what else one should consider.

15. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

Define "light gaming", when I was at University my laptop was my main entertainment when not out partying or playing sport (take me back, PLLEEEAAASE!). A tiny MacBook Air, though may possibly be useful as a babe magnet might not do so well in other departments. I can not think of anything worse than having to write heavy articles on such a tiny screen and squashed keyboard. If I had an air when I was at uni I would have needed an external monitor and full size keyboard to plug in to make writing on it possible. In addition, my earlier note about entertainment, watching TV or movies on a small screen is okay but not if you have company and if you want to watch a DVD you'll need an external drive or completely separate TV/DVD setup which may be an additional cost. Gaming would also be poor on an Air.

Other options to consider would be to look at some 15" windows machines, I used Dell throughout university with no issues, as did many of my peers. Their customer service was excellent. A quick browse of their website will give you an idea of what you can get for your money and I can assure you the specs will be superior to the Airs. With only 4GB of ram and 1.3ghz processors the Airs may not offer a long term enough solution for a student.

Second option I see as worth looking in to would be to get a Mac mini to run alongside the iPad. The ipad would be more than enough for note taking in the lecture hall and the workstations available at the library/lab will be current and ideal for work when on campus, then once home he would have the Mini to deal with all other requirements. He could even get some form of Remote Desktop software to access the mini from the ipad when on campus and a bluetooth keyboard to use for typing in lectures.

16. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

Mac Air, no doubt.

17. Jobine macrumors newbie

Jobine

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.

Tis around 1000$, 3200x1800 display and SSD.