What would you go with ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by semin28, Sep 30, 2009.

1. semin28 macrumors regular

Would you spend money on iwork or spend even more money for word ? I dont know which one to get and which one is better .

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Unless you really need VBA macros and you really need extremely high-level functions that Excel offers, go with iWork.

If you're only moderately interested in VBA, you can probably do all that with AppleScript. And although Numbers function list is smaller than Excel's you'd be surprised at what you could accomplish with a "lesser" spreadsheet.

And finally, I've seen few people rate Powerpoint higher than Keynote.

mt

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

seems more a focus on Word than Excel. Excel > Numbers, yes. Keynote > Powerpoint, yes.

Pages isn't necessarily better than Word and Word isn't automatically better than Pages. they do similar things in different manners imo. personally i need the advanced functionality and formatting of Word over Pages and i could just never get used to the Inspector.

there is a free trial for iWork and quite possibly one for Office too, why not try them and see which you prefer and then make the appropriate purchase.

4. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

I have both. It may not be fair, as I haven't spent adequate time in iWork, but I don't love it.
    I am just comfortable in MS office.
    If your a student word and pages are not all that comparable in my opinion.

I guess the biggest variable is what your needs are for the software?

5. Steve-M macrumors regular

6. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

I've been office free for about a year now, and not once have I run into any issues, other than some excel related things for an advanced university physics course. I've found pages just as good as word, and better in most regards.

7. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

Why not get hold of a trial and see whats best for you. :)

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110