What would you like 2nd Generation iPhone to have/look like?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by m005e, Oct 27, 2007.

1. m005e macrumors newbie

Well i was thinking today, that it would be cool if they moved the Sleep/Wake button onto the side, so that it would double as a camera button when using it on its side..

so what would you like? Post below

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

3G and 32GB, plus GPS, and to be as thin as the iPod Touch, but that's pure fantasy for the moment!

3. thecandyman116 macrumors newbie

4. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

ok, at the moment we have plastic back, metal rim, glass top;

i would like to see GLASS BACK metal rim GLASS front... More screen less top and bottom, thinner,

Better speakers - stereo (on speaker at the top on at the bottom)

better camera, (i find the apple ad, where the guy talks about 1 device really anoying, if your the type of person who carries round a digi cam the whole time, an iPhone camera wouldnt do)

5. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

All I want is 3G and 16GB. GPS would be nice, as MMS, video recording, etc. But the two core features that will compel me to sell my current iPhone would be 3G data and 16GB storage. Otherwise I'll just keep my current phone until then.

6. flkp macrumors newbie

Next iPhone

Any one have a guess when the next iPhone will come to market? I I am guessing that means 3G +GPS.

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Better speakers, louder earpiece and speakerphone
    16GB or better
    3G
    GPS
    Different Bezel, brushed metal or something that doesn't show scratches

8. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

28th March 2008, 6.00 pm. This will be for 3G and 16GB but no GPS.

9. fazworld macrumors newbie

Something, such as a ultra thin rubber (or similar sticky material) strip along both slides, so it doesn't slip out of your hand!

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Just curious, what do you gain from having a glass back? I like that the back is relatively sturdy and not a fingerprint magnet as it stands now...

11. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

I've heard from March 2008 - November 2008.

Personally I would guess June 2008 (one year after the original launch) with the product announcement in late March. Any sooner you'll piss a lot of people off who got it for Christmas (and we have seen how loudly people have complained). Any later than June and you risk having competitors come up with a good enough product to compete on a price basis.

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I cannot understand why people feel the need to slow the march of progress once they have bought their bit of kit. It was good enough to buy in the first place and it's churlish to complain that it just got better! On the other hand, if it is upgraded within days of buying it I do understand a feeling of grievance.

13. mets1125 macrumors regular

GPS, better speakers, louder earpiece volume, 3G, voice dialing. I wouldn't mind if the phone looked the same.

14. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

I agree with you 100%, but Apple caved to the negative PR rather quickly, and I would expect that this time since its release wont be a surprise, people will know to not buy an iPhone before the release.

This also presents Apple with a problem - how do they announce the release of the 3G iPhone without decimating the sales of the current iPhone. If they price the 3G iPhone at $500/600 (8GB/16GB) again no one but the hardcore will buy it because everyone else will expect the price to get cut again (and Apple wont go down that high price road again because sales stalled out because of the high price). If they price it at $400/500 its still slightly high, but they cant really price it lower because of the need to differentiate it from the iPod Touch. Unless we see the touch bumped to 16/32GB models at the same time the iPhone is announced (unlikely, flash prices are cheap but not that cheap, and the dollar keeps getting weaker), I dont see any other price point but $400/500. So maybe we dont see a 16GB model released immediately, maybe we see the 8GB model launched in Q2 08 and the 16GB model released at the end of Q3 08 along with the bigger iPod Touches.

15. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Lasers! pew pew...

• 3G or equivalent

• Processor: I think the processor could use a speed bump. It shows it's borderline slugishness as it is now with the current OS.

• True IM app (if they can get it to connect to AIM, MSN, Yahoo etc and still do SMS then it's a better iPhone)

• Email app should support all instant email . (huge improvement if they can pull that off)

• Battery life increase by 30% (at least)

• Safari support for web standards, flash etc

• I think the Chrome bezel should be changed, It's way too prone to scratches etc

• I hope they implement that method of sync & charge where no cables are needed. (there's an Apple patent for this somewhere, im too lazy to dig it up and link it)

• more apps of course, but i'm not going to list anything as we haven't seen what's going to come out of the SDK in Feb

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Add hardware buttons for Send/End, and several iPod controls along the edge... so you can get to the phone functions quicker and use the iPod features while in a pocket.

It's not sacrilege, it's just good UI design. Same reason they included hardware power, volume, ringer and home buttons.. the latter of which could've been touchscreen instead.

17. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I have a mildly itching feeling that Apple may be considering a different approach to initially using the iPhone than "slide to unlock" ... for the next revision.

It's a cool feature and all, but it's also tedious, an extra step that could be avoided by other means, and it's not fast.

I'm not crying about the 3 seconds it takes to 1. place your finger on it. 2. slide it 3. wait for the iPhone to go through the animation and 4. less than about half a second till the UI actually responds to touch, BUT it's not instant and a lot of other phones are instant.