What would you like in the new mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Malsi, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Malsi macrumors regular

I'll start!

I would be happy if they gave us a dedicated graphics card. I mean, is it really so hard to do? They could use the 9600 in the MacBook Pros. Core i3 would be nice, you know, since his highness doesn't support "old technology".

What does everyone else want in the next revision? Is the wait for it making you itch all over like it is me?

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

i3-i5 cpu
    4-16gb ddr3
    radeon graphics

that's about it :p

4. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

Definitely i3-i5 and 4gb ram standard, I only web surf and basic email so graphics isn't as important to me. I would, however, like to see upgraded graphics to support other users needs though.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well blu ray would be nice
    as would an i7
    and a dedicated gpu
    and esata/or another hdd bay

id be happy

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

it could have all that, if it was twice the size and cost $1300.

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Intel Core i9
    ATI 5870
    Up 32GB of RAM
    Up to 4 TB hard drive

For still $599 and $799.

:D

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

9. jcesl2 macrumors newbie

lol. And a free Touch with every purchase.

10. 09iMac=Fail macrumors regular

Sounds good to me. :D

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I think what everyone really wants is a Mac mini-tower. The Mac Mini will always be crippled by its form factor and Apple intending it as a low cost entry for switchers.

12. nickdelvecchio macrumors regular

nickdelvecchio

13. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I'd like to see the Core i3 and maybe i5 processors. I'm not sure what graphics cards work with those, but the 9400M is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'd mainly like to see an HDMI port. A lot of people use these as HTPCs, and many new monitors are coming with HDMI connections, so it really makes sense. I get tired of all these clunky adapters and connectors.

14. farmermac macrumors 6502a

15. Resist macrumors 68030

16. JJC80 macrumors member

Dedicated graphics and SSD drive. I'm looking forward to an update whenever that is, my bets are in about 2-3 months.

17. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Combine the apple tv and a mini, HDMI, dedicated graphics card and 8GB max ram and an i3. Would be one hell of a home entertainment center controled by an iPad. :D

18. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Sure, why not? They went 1.5 years without an update, then updated it twice in once year. Maybe they are just trying to keep us on our toes.

You can get 8GB of RAM in a Mini. Just not from Apple. :rolleyes: Of course, if they did offer that much, it would probably cost almost as much as the Mini itself. It sure does aftermarket. I thought about upgrading my new one to 8GB until I saw the price. OUCH!

19. Foxile macrumors regular

I'd agree with that...take the current Mini and make it 2 or 3 times taller to allow more 'serious' hardware to go in there ( i5 core, Blu-ray, Radeon etc ) and offer it in black ( so it doesn't class with the rest of my AV equipment ) and I'd be on it like a tramp on chips !

20. erico.antonio macrumors newbie

erico.antonio

Bare Bones Option??

A Bare Bones Option with the maximum current CPU option. I know it's not Apples game plan but being able to install your own HD and RAM would be nice. I hate having to buy the lower end model because I'm going to replace the ram (8gb) and hard drive (SSD).
    Offering a bare bones with current specs I could have a 2.66MHz with 8GB ram, and a SSD Drive of my choice (I'm liking the OWC Mercury Extreme Enterprise Class SSD drives btw.) Or having more choices in the BTO without gouging. Just a thought. Oh yeah and hurry up and embrace USB 3.0!

21. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

If you're replacing the major components anyway, why not get a used or refurbished one?

22. erico.antonio macrumors newbie

erico.antonio

Warranty, wear and tear on CPU, GPU, optical drive, logic board, power supply etc. As for refurb. they don't always have them available. Such as right now...lol. Thanks for the response though.

23. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Sure. BTW, does warranty still cover if you fiddled with it to that extent?

24. erico.antonio macrumors newbie

erico.antonio

Upgrading the HDD and RAM isn't a void of the warranty.

If you break anything i.e. RAM module, sensor, etc., it will void your warranty.
    in the U.S. at least, warranty law seems to be in consumers' favor these days, and unless you specifically break something with your unauthorized upgrade, Apple still has to honor the warranty.

25. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I live in Denmark, but if we take that fact out of the equation, could I put an SSD in my 13" MBP without voiding warranty? :eek:

I was always given the impression that if you changed anything but RAM or battery in a MacBook, Apple would be extremely nazi about repairing it.