Price Advice what would you pay for a New 2012 12 core 2.4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RoastingPig, Feb 19, 2014.

?

what would you pay for a new 2012 12 core 2.4

1. 1500

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. 2500

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Retail

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. that thing is so old and useless i need the nmp

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. RoastingPig, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i need the voice of the people to get a point accross to someone

2. echoout macrumors 6502a

$1500 max. It would have to have faster CPUs.

3. Marty62 macrumors 6502

If I could have found one probably £2500.00 or thereabouts. ( that's pounds BTW )

I found a New Hex core 3,33 though .. that will do nicely.

What's the point to prove ??

M,

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), and Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc. You can also check the Apple refurbished store to see what similar models are selling for.
    Don't check just one source, but get an average from all sources to get a realistic pricing idea. For example, Mac2Sell may quote a higher value than the market bears, while some sources may quote lower.

5. Anim macrumors 6502a

Anim

It's an end of line product and within the comp world, things move too fast to step backwards, even if it is still a viable machine for a few years. Voted last option but would not agree it's useless.

6. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

How do you figure? The nMP uses 2 year old video cards and the oMP can be upgraded to use a Titan Black. Is the old Processor line really all that much slower ?

I agree PCIe 2.0, SATAII, and USB2 are ancient techs, that will only affect few people as the versatility of having PCIe outweighs thunderbolt (especially in the nMP) in terms of future-proofing. I upgraded to SATAIII and I can upgrade to USB3 if I want.

7. Anim, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

Anim macrumors 6502a

Anim

You pointed out some of the reasons yourself.

Not sure PCIe outweighs thunderbolt :confused: unless you have a load of PCI cards that you need. TB can carry PCIe so you still have options if you do need to use existing cards.

If there was an option to get a Titan on the New Mac Pro I would have done it straight away for CUDA and Nvidia support but as to the argument that keeps popping up that the GPUs are "2 years old".. what does that actually mean in the real world? isn't the Titan Black based on the GK110 GPU which was launched late 2012? The benchmarks and real world use of dual D700's are pretty decent regardless of the actual GPU chip age, thankfully.

As to other reasons, the new Mac Pro comes standard with built in HDMI 1.4, Wireless 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4, faster ram, very fast external storage via TB with speeds of over 2000 MB/sec if you need it, partially portable, quieter, more energy efficient etc.

I do like the classic Mac Pro but still stand by what I said because of the above points.

8. snouter macrumors 6502a

A quick check of ebay shows it going for around $3000.

Even new I was not a fan of this computer because the 2.4GHz is pretty slow. However, 12 cores, even 2.4GHz cores should be fairly powerful in rendering and encoding situations. It's the day to day stuff that's not going to be that impressive. Really depends on what you want to do with it?

9. Anim macrumors 6502a

Anim

Yup, just looked at completed listings. People are still buying it at that price.

Attached Files:

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

$1,500. I'd be put off by the clockspeed and knowing I could turn a 2009 model into a 2.93GHz 12-core with 32GB of RAM for $2,000 (with some patience).

If I was selling one then I'd be looking to get at least $2,750.

11. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

I wished I saw this earlier.

I would have bought myself that Mac Pro at USD$2000 when I saw one few days ago on eBay.

12. RoastingPig thread starter macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

Thanks all for your input. My friends still went ahead and bought a 2.4 used for $3000. Its not that bad but i felt like the nMp would of benefitted him more. Thats what the point was i was telling him that the 2.4 is way overpriced

13. Larry-K macrumors 68000

I bought an Apple Refurb for the customary $3300 or so, seemed cheap enough (free overnight shipping always nice on the old models).

I WANTED an nVIDIA GPU & 12 cores for rendering. After a new GPU, 64 Gigs of RAM, a PCIe SSD and some 4TB HGST enterprise drives I still have a few grand laying around gathering dust that would have been spent on the still yet to arrive nMP. and I can watch a Game of Thrones DVD on it in my spare time(well, while I'm working).

----------

Anybody flashed one of those things yet?

14. RoastingPig thread starter macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i don't think so but macvidcards says theres a driver for it in 10.9.2 so it wont work till 10.9.2 comes out

15. Larry-K macrumors 68000

That sounds good, I'm not in a hurry to switch to Mavericks, so I don't mind waiting.

16. 960design macrumors 68000

Two year old tech for someone looking into the mac pro line? That seems... so... oxymoronic.

What is he using it for? That would be my question.

PS. This is a trick question. No matter what his answer, there is a better solution for less.

17. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

That's more theoretical than practical. The bandwidth is highly limited as well. Anandtech could only get 1.3GBps out of their TB2 port, the old MP can do 8GBps out of both of its two 16x PCIe slots PLUS 2GBps (shared) out of its 4x. The PCIe chassis are also cumbersome, have questionable power supplies (as in: what kind of quality? nobody knows), offer no GPU support, and are expensive.

True, you can do it, but you can't run a 4 port MiniSAS card without an 84% reduction in bandwidth (if it'll run at all).

But there IS an option, that's the whole point. With the nMP, there is no option. As far as chip age, you're welcome to look at the benchmarks and tell me the difference. A single GPU have more power than dual D700.

Again, TB's not that fast. Anandtech only got 1.3GBps off of their setup due to the way TB is implemented on the nMP. Even if it were a full 2GBps, you're forgetting the oMP gives you the option of throwing in a controller that supports 8GBps.

As far as HDMI: You can upgrade the oMP's video card, bluetooth, wireless, and storage.

Yes, it's more energy efficient and quieter. So are laptops. For some, this is a huge selling point.

I mostly agree with you, but most of what you're saying ignores the oMP's upgradability due to the amazing power of PCIe and the remainder is a direct result of Apple neglecting the product line. My beef is not with the new technologies like the latest Xeons, wireless, USB, etc in the nMP, mainly just with Thunderbolt and the argument that it's somehow "better" than PCIe--that's entirely dependent on the use-case.

You also mentioned the nMP's use of "future" technology compared to the oMP which I can't argue with, but if you value high powered graphics, the oMP's available options blow the D700 away in most use-cases, and at a lower cost.