Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would you rather have....

• iPhone with the same design and totally new hardware

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • iPhone with new design and a minor hardware changes

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
What would you rather have, a totally redesigned iphone with minor spec bumps or an iPhone with the same design and totally new hardware?

you can't have both

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
What would you rather have, a totally redesigned iphone with minor spec bumps or an iPhone with the same design and totally new hardware?

you can't have both

Doesn't the display count as hardware?
I'd take the redesigned one with a bigger screen and minor RAM/CPU bump, and it better not be made of glass.

SHAWNYMAC

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
JERSEY SHORE
i'm tired of this phone already a year and a half...and i'm still dealing with this proximity sensor.....they better come out with a new design or i may be done with the iPhone

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hell yes an iPhone that looks the same and new hardware. I still think the iPhone 4 design is amazing, and if it had NFC to allow me to tap that on a PayPass reader, allow me to record 1080p, and allow me to have a camera that I can leave the Point and Shoot at home, then I am sold.

I am a guy, I don't carry around a bag for me to carry multiple devices. Having the most I can in one device is the best.

But we do need to get past a few real life obstacles before I can just do nothing but schlep around an iPhone ONLY and nothing else:

• Add NFC readers to places other than Circle-K, McDonalds, and Best Buy
  • Add the ability to use loyalty cards, and membership cards from the NFC reader as well (Sam's Club, Costco, etc)
  • Work with states to allow virtual pictures of Driver's licenses instead of the actual license. It is already done with State Farm for car insurance cards etc. Yeah there are hurdles to this one, but this is speaking ideally, so I only have to carry an iPhone.
  • I would have to install some type of NFC door knob, and somehow mod my car to start with NFC.
  • Taser/Gun for some people? Or at least an app to control a remotely mounted one :D
Talk about replacing everything else in your pocket with an iPhone.

haticK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2011
New York
Hardware actually makes a difference in the way the phone functions. I'm fine with the current design and could care less if it changed.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Neither, I'm going to watch and see what has changed. Then give them a year to sort it out. If done right iPhone 6 will be my next iPhone.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Great hardware is useless if the form factor is too fragile to survive a 2 year service agreement or undermines it's ability to perform well in the field.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
"an iPhone with the same design and totally new hardware"

Does totally new hardware include NFC and 4G hardware? If so, I'd take the 4 model with 4G and NFC over new model and bigger screen.

If we're just talking about new hardware as in A5 chip, better RAM and camera. I'll take my big screen on a new model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.