What would you rather have?

What would you rather have?

• A) A great career you love and pays you well?

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • B) A great family to come home to after you are done at your career?

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • C) Great friends that are there to support and love you when you need it?

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • D) Or B and C?

Votes: 28 45.9%

• Total voters

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
A) A great career that pays decent and you love.

B) Family you love, to go to after you leave your career for the day. Such as the perfect boy friend or girlfriend / Wife or Husband?

C) Or Friends that Love and Support you.

Or B and C

Sorry no all of the above.

mac88

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA.
Careers and friends come and go. A loving family (wife/child) is all that matters to me now. 15 years ago I probably would have said a high paying job, how quick one realizes there is more to life.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Life is a game of luck for me. I'm happily drifting from place to place, and having a different one every place. Sometimes I have them all, sometimes I have none.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Career, jobs wont come looking for you, but if ya got a decent job then the women will come looking for ya ;)
You obviously do not know the difference between "wife and family" and "women". The "women" that you are talking about won't turn into wives, and they won't be a cornerstone of your family. Ever. They just keep changing like those well paying jobs.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
You obviously do not know the difference between "wife and family" and "women". The "women" that you are talking about won't turn into wives, and they won't be a cornerstone of your family. Ever. They just keep changing like those well paying jobs.
not gonna get pedantic but personally i would take the career and sod everything else, personal experiences an all.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I voted B, but if everything goes well I'll have both A and B in the future. C can wait.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
B and C for me.

In this time of recession, A is rare and in some areas just nonexistent. The careers I have had that pay the best have also been the ones with the biggest headaches. The more stressful the job, the higher the pay.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
A good friend of mine once said that no on on their death bed ever wished he spent more time at work.

Quite the contrary and that being the case I voted with my heart and specified the family option. I wanted the third but I had a brain fart. Good friends and family are what defines success, not the size of your bank account.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I'm a bit self-involved at present so I'd be lying if I said B or C, so ticked A. But I know in my heart of hearts that happiness lies in B.
I don't think A is a dishonest answer. In MBA school I met plenty of people who would put A as their be all end all.

For some people, money and career is all that matters. Money is their God. I don't expect in today's society for many to have faith, but when they do, it's money, but that should not come as a surprise. Just look at Wal-Mart. ;)

Some of those people who worship money (I am not saying you do or don't) are despicable and would stab anyone in the back to get there, but there are others who live for career to make the most money they can to help others. Annenberg and BG are examples of career billionaires that have helped more than hurt in this world.

If career is what you are best and happiest at, then by all means go for it.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Because this poll was brought to you by waloshin.
I think the original wording was a typo. But this is a good poll that asks people in today's material society a very valid question.

Growing up in the cold war years, it was "us" against the Soviets/communists. So that made us capitalists, and in the years after the war, the most common American dream was to become an entrepreneur which often meant getting rich. The epitome of success was owning a business or company and being the boss, on top of being rich.

This may not be the case so much anymore with the recession, but people from my generation will probably one day be known as the "greed is good" generation, ala Gordon Gekko. My dad's generation was the greatest generation, and my kid's generation (if I had a kid) was the "slacker" generation. The greatest generation were known as selfless and sacrificed for their country. And as for their grandkids, nobody considered the slackers greedy, or even motivated enough to make that money. Generations have a theme but that's what not only makes us great, but what causes fights at family gatherings ;)

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I thought life was a highway?:confused: Is the song lying to me?

What a strange poll. Choosing 'D', is like choosing all of the above.
I just gave this poll the maximum stars.

Anyway, life around me is often a broken road or dirt road, as outer county cities don't get the funds, you know?...I mean, eh? (learned that one during the olympics). ;)