What would you say is the best ad blocking software for Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Queenredspecial, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Queenredspecial macrumors regular

So I have done many searches, and read many discussions on this forum regarding ad blockers on Firefox and Safari.

I decided to experiment, and installed what seemed to be the most commonly referred to one -- SafariPlus. It was not the usual easy install -- I had to add a folder in my Library, and move the contents of the download into it. Upon restarting Safari, it would crash immediately -- so I removed it.

I also installed ClickToFlash, and while it worked well, it kind of annoyed me when using, for example, youtube playlists, and i had to click on every single page in order for it to play. I get that it's what it's designed to do, but it wasn't really convenient for me.

This is what I want it to do:

1. Disable as much flash as possible on the pages I load, without interfering with their function (as in youtube,)

and

2. Disable the google following thing, I forget the name.

Some info: I have Safari 4.0.3 on a MBP OS 10.4.11

Thoughts?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. Grey Podder macrumors newbie

Queenredspecial...

Regarding ClickToFlash, go to any YouTube video, right click on the Flash frame and then click "Automatically Load Flash on 'www.youtube.com’”. This will prevent you from having to click to allow each and every video, including playlists.

I second stridemat’s suggestion of SafariAdblock. I would be using that now, but on Snow Leopard it requires you to run Safari in 32-bit mode.

Edit: Realised just as I posted that SafariAdblock is Leopard or later. You might want to consider SafariBlock instead. http://code.google.com/p/safariblock/

4. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is, there doesn't seem to be one for Tiger.

5. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know about ClickToFlash. Thanks!

6. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so I installed SafariBlock... And yet I still see ads! :(

7. Grey Podder macrumors newbie

Don’t take offense, but did you quit and restart Safari after you installed SafariBlock? The changes are only visible after Safari restarts. I apologise if you already knew that.

If you’re still seeing ads, all I can suggest is that no ad blocker perfectly blocks all ads.

8. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

Anyone know if they are working on a 64-bit version id love to not see ads everywhere again?:confused:

9. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

No offense taken, Grey Podder. However, I did do that. Oh well -- I have since installed clicktoflash as well, so we'll see how well they function together. Thank you for your help!

:)

10. macgirl89 macrumors member

Looking for a good Safari ad blocker!

I have also tried SafariBlock and Safari Adblock, and they don't seem to do the trick as I'm still seeing ads on some websites. I'd really love something comparable to Firefox's AdblockPlus and Foof, as I really do prefer using Safari as my main browser but want to get rid of the ads. SafariBlock and Safari Adblock got rid of some ads but I still noticed ads on the right side of Facebook (these ads were removed with AdblockPlus and Foof in Firefox).

Does ANYONE know of a really good Safari ad blocker that gets rid of almost every ad? The answer would be much appreciated!

11. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

May I suggest giving Firefox a whirl and installing Ad Block Plus. Whenever I rarely use Safari, I remember just how many ads this program blocks. It does a fantastic job and, unlike ClicktoFlash, it completely removes any ads, making it look as if they were never there.

Also, Firefox's 3-finger swipe up and down is great for forums and pretty much sells me over Safari. (That and ABP.)

12. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I used to use a few of the Safari Ad Blockers mentioned above but I eventually started using GlimmerBlocker instead as I quite like how it works.

It doesn't rely on a browser hack or modification in order to work as it essentially sits as a proxy between your browser and the internet. As such, you can use any browser you want and it won't break should Safari get updated etc. It's very customisable and once installed it's invisible to the user. It can be easily uninstalled if you don't like it.

13. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Just installed GlimmerBlocker, and . . . wow, what a breath of fresh air. A preferences pane, independent of your browser of choice, that Just Works(TM) and is easy to use!

I'm impressed.