All iPads What would you upgrade from iPad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sensamic, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Went today to try the two new iPads, but the 4 wasn't there although I've tried numerous times the 3 so I now how the screen looks, the weight, the speed, etc.

So I played with the mini for 20 minutes or so. I must admit I had no desire to buy it when it was announced, but after trying it I'm undecided.

The size and weight is a huge advantage, as so is the screen of the 4. I read a lot of PDFs on the iPad so the bigger screen is better but the size and weight can get annoying. My PDFs are only text, so I tried zooming on the mini and it look good, not great, but good.

I know the biggest and better jump would be to the 4, but the size and weight of the mini made it so so comfortable to hold that my hands didn't felt tired after 20 minutes. Just after that I held the 3 and wow, like 3 times heavier.

Advice?

2. Ubele macrumors 6502a

Decide what's more important to you: small size and light weight, or gorgeous screen and faster processor that will provide a longer usable lifespan. I, too, was upgrading from an iPad 1. I liked the Mini, but I'm a reader of e-books and e-magazines, and I'm an avid amateur photographer, so the iPad 4's Retina screen was more important to me, and I bought an iPad 4. If the Mini had Retina, I probably would have bought it instead, but I wouldn't necessarily have preferred it. I like the bigger screen of the full-size iPad, and unlike many people on here, I never found the iPad 1 to be too heavy or unwieldy. My gut feeling is this: if you've ever compared an iPad 2 and 3 and didn't think that the Retina display on the 3 was that much better, then go with the Mini. If you were blown away by the Retina display and and would consider anything else a compromise, then go with the 4.

3. crazydawg807 macrumors newbie

crazydawg807

same boat as you. i have an ipad 1, and im looking to upgrade, deciding between the mini and ipad 3/4. I was able to play with the mini at the apple store couple days ago. I do like the portability of it (light, thin, etc), and as a college student, it fits in my budget a little better than the ipad 3/4. But like you, I spend a lot of time browsing and reading textbooks/pdfs on my ipad, and I feel like the bigger screen with the better processor will be more beneficial. Still trying to decide which route to go

4. phillypharm macrumors regular

I had the 1 and upgraded to the 4. The screen is amazing and the speed is wonderful. The mini looks good and the size is amazing, but I'd rather have the most futureproof iPad rather than something running two years old. I know apple will prob support it for a while, but I'd rather it not be in the same boat as the iPad 1. Apple gave the 3GS and iPhone 4 updates but not the iPad 1 even though it has the same hardware as the iPhone 4.

5. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

iPad 4 hands down. Mini looks and feels nice but don't think with the older innards its as future proof.