what wrong with my macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hendrixx, Nov 10, 2013.

1. hendrixx macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2013
    So recently my macbook has been slowing down to a complete crawl. Copying files, opening windows, minimizing windows, opening menus, playing movies (can't even play 720p anymore without vlc crashing), switching between workspaces. Just about anything I try to do brings up the spinny flower power wheel.

I just did a complete factory restore which made it SLIGHTLY more responsive but it's still unbearable. Im running Snow Leopard so it's not the mountain/lion thing.

Ran a hardware test today in AHT and it reported no errors. Disk util reports nothing wrong with the drive.

Clearly there's a hardware problem but what could it be? Cable glitch or something?

Around the time this started I had been using my macbook turned sideways (to read long texts). Around the time this started happening I had a loud inconsistent CLICK inside the machine that I could actually feel when holding my hand on the machine. The click went away after a few weeks. I was sure my harddrive was failing but wouldn't AHT/diskutil pick this up?

I should mention the problem isn't consistent but about 70% of the system runs about as smoothly as a 10 year old install of windows 95 and it requires constant reboots. Oh, also somtimes the monitor goes black when I bump the laptop into something when moving it about.

Any ideas?
  2. themumu macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2011
    Well, a Macbook is not an iPad and is not meant to be used sideways :eek:

But this definitely seems like an HDD issue. I'd just replace it with an SSD, no matter what the AHT says. Consider buying it from a store with a good return policy so that if it doesn't help, you can bring it back.
  3. hendrixx thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2013
    well I just figured since it's called a mac BOOK heeheee. seems like it's the hd yeah since copying 1gb takes like 5 minutes. what I don't get is why actions like minimizing windows and changing tabs in a browser would be slowed down by a failing harddrive when there's plenty of real memory available.