what wrong with my macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hendrixx, Nov 10, 2013.

1. hendrixx macrumors newbie

So recently my macbook has been slowing down to a complete crawl. Copying files, opening windows, minimizing windows, opening menus, playing movies (can't even play 720p anymore without vlc crashing), switching between workspaces. Just about anything I try to do brings up the spinny flower power wheel.

I just did a complete factory restore which made it SLIGHTLY more responsive but it's still unbearable. Im running Snow Leopard so it's not the mountain/lion thing.

Ran a hardware test today in AHT and it reported no errors. Disk util reports nothing wrong with the drive.

Clearly there's a hardware problem but what could it be? Cable glitch or something?

Around the time this started I had been using my macbook turned sideways (to read long texts). Around the time this started happening I had a loud inconsistent CLICK inside the machine that I could actually feel when holding my hand on the machine. The click went away after a few weeks. I was sure my harddrive was failing but wouldn't AHT/diskutil pick this up?

I should mention the problem isn't consistent but about 70% of the system runs about as smoothly as a 10 year old install of windows 95 and it requires constant reboots. Oh, also somtimes the monitor goes black when I bump the laptop into something when moving it about.

Any ideas?

2. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Well, a Macbook is not an iPad and is not meant to be used sideways :eek:

But this definitely seems like an HDD issue. I'd just replace it with an SSD, no matter what the AHT says. Consider buying it from a store with a good return policy so that if it doesn't help, you can bring it back.

3. hendrixx thread starter macrumors newbie

well I just figured since it's called a mac BOOK heeheee. seems like it's the hd yeah since copying 1gb takes like 5 minutes. what I don't get is why actions like minimizing windows and changing tabs in a browser would be slowed down by a failing harddrive when there's plenty of real memory available.