What XML editor should I use? (Doesn't have to be free)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bollweevil, Sep 3, 2009.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

Has anyone out there tried several XML editors for Mac OS X, and decided that one in particular is the best? Please recommend it.

A little compliment for the MacRumors:Forums community: this is by far the best way to find out what application I should buy for a Mac if I have no idea what is available. Often times the thread already exists, but sometimes I have to start it myself. This forum is far better than the Wikipedia "Comparison of ***** software packages" pages, and it is even better than asking my friends.

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Never programmed in xml so not sure of my recommendations are worth anything to you but here goes.

You can try textmate with their xml plugin or xmlmate. I personally use textmate for coding in c and java.

3. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

What sort of XML are you going to be editing? I usually find myself simply using a text editor (usually those referred to as a "programmer's text editor" - as opposed to something like TextEdit) - I prefer Vim and/or MacVim. Mind you, Vim is a text editor that uses modes, so it's not very easy to adapt to quickly for a new user.

You may be interested in Wikipedia's comparison of text editors. Particularly, I'd be looking for one with auto indentation, syntax hi-lighting, and bracket matching if mostly working with XML.