Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DingleButt

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
Windows, for me, is the better and cheaper option than OS X+ Mac.

OS X + Macbook integration does have its benefits though and I did seriously consider it on my last purchase.

Macs havent gotten viruses but they get malware just like Windows (Which gets labelled as viruses in Windows) and its gotten worse.

Macs are much more expensive to repair. You could buy a new PC for the price of a basic Mac repair when out of warranty/Apple Care.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Thought i would share this
http://www.technibble.com/top-5-myths-computer-repair-customers-believe-about-going-apple/

Although I'm not experienced enough to make any judgements,just to see what yous think..........

All seem like fair and valid points while trying to stay as centered as possible.

Macs havent gotten viruses but they get malware just like Windows (Which gets labelled as viruses in Windows) and its gotten worse.

This is a huge misconception by Macnuts today. I won't say rare, but it's much more unlikely one falls victim to scary trojans or viruses today as they fall to malware. And malware is starting to bloom on OSX. Remember the Mac Keeper/Defender stuff that so many idiots fell for that Apple had to issue a response? Even with pop ups disabled on my updated browsers (Firefox, Chrome), I see a pop up for Mac Keeper weekly on my work iMac.

----

I also really agree with the Apple costing less myth. I could buy any random $600 i5 Lenovo/HP/Dell and treat it well and have it last 5 years like this C2D MacBook has (though I would probably go something with more power for about $800-1,000 with better specs than the $2k 15" MBP). I had a HP Pavillion laptop for 4.5 years before this laptop and that worked wonderfully too.

I never had an issue with my HP laptop. I've had 4 minor issues with my MacBook, though 2 I would've ignored if Apple's service wasn't so easy (top case cracks).

Any horror stories out there are probably 75% user error in some manner, 10-15% due to some OS/driver issue and then 10-15% due to just lemons. Apple pumps out plenty of lemons too - just browse the MacBook, MBP, MBA, iMac, etc. sub-forums.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Remember the Mac Keeper stuff that so many idiots fell for that Apple had to issue a response? Even with pop ups disabled on my updated browsers (Firefox, Chrome), I see a pop up for Mac Keeper weekly on my work iMac.

While MacKeeper is not necessary, you seem to confuse it with MacDefender, which was scareware, showing you some viruses on your Mac, which weren't there and in order to remove it, pay for it.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
But as long as you don't install software from unknown and untrusted sources, you are safe, as malware needs administrative permissions to run successfully, which means, you need to install the malware yourself, it can't install itself (one of the reasons, why a Mac OS X virus hasn't appeared yet).
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:
Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
The above F.A.Q. includes the following topics:
  • Malware terminology - What is the difference between viruses, worms, and Trojans?
  • Antivirus apps
  • What security steps should I take?
  • What about sending files to Windows users?
  • Why am I being redirected to other sites?
  • Recent threats in the news

Anyway, regarding the article:

Myth #5: “Macs don’t get viruses, hence they are the most secure computer.”
Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.

Myth #4: “My friends say Macs are just easier to use.”
For me it is, but it depends on one's way of thinking.

Myth #3: “People say all the software I need is available on the Mac, too.”
If not, there is almost always an alternative or Booting Windows on the Mac.

Myth #2: “Macs are simpler machines and therefore are cheaper to repair.”
I don't know what that means, but Macs use the same components as similar specced machines. And there are also PCs, which aren't easy to repair.

Myth #1: “Everyone says Macs have a lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).”
For me it is.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I only have issue with #5. Not with that so-called myth, but the supposed reasoning behind it.

The market share argument is wrong on so many level. Just because the OS X has a smaller market share than Windows, that is not protection against malware. An obvious example is too look back to the classic Mac OS (9 and older). Macs had less than a 5% market share (a lot less than OS X's market share) yet it was littered with malware. I remember back when I was an :apple: repair tech. Company's standard repair procedure required that we run a virus scan on every Mac we fixed. I do not recall a single machine that didn't have a virus.

OS X machines don't have malware because it requires too much effort. Windows' weak points is probably well known and documented among the cracker community. I guarantee you, once someone cracks OS X's security, we'll get deluged with all manner of malware just like Windows.

#4: That's subjective.
#3: Is myth, unless you VM/Parallel/Boot Camp
#2: Hail No! Macs were a pain the (_!_) to repair...back in my days. Only the Mac Pros are easy access, but not necessarily repair though.
#1: Again, subjective.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
A good article. I agree with the majority of points however it is common knowledge that OS X has no viruses what so ever. It does however, have an alarmingly increasing amount of malware.

Other than that, I agree with everything the article says.

Viking23

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Scotland, UK
Interesting article, but it won't stop people buying what they are happiest with. I have used a PC and worked in IT with PC's for over thirty years, but am now considering buying an iMac. Perhaps it is time for a new challenge now I am retired!

Unkei

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
PC now Mac

Interesting article, but it won't stop people buying what they are happiest with. I have used a PC and worked in IT with PC's for over thirty years, but am now considering buying an iMac. Perhaps it is time for a new challenge now I am retired!

Hi there,
I have had PCs almost exclusively since the two Steves did their garage thing. This dates back to when you had to enter Basic via a keyboard to use a new program. No floppy disks, certainly no hard drive! The two exceptions were a Radio Shack 100 portable, and an Apple II GS. Both sucked. I am now the proud owner of an iPad3 and a new this week, 21.5 iMac. Love them both.
Unkei

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
On #4.....I don't think Macs are easier to use, but I do think they are more intuitive.

I've never heard anyone say anything about 3, 2 or 1.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Myth #5: “Macs don’t get viruses, hence they are the most secure computer.”
They don't get viruses Malware yes but viruses no. ;)

Myth #4: “My friends say Macs are just easier to use.”
Very much so, I love how I can drag a folder to the terminal and the path shows up, or how things are very consistent. This is not to say OSX is perfect, it still needs improvement nor does it say windows is awful, just that I think OSX is better :)

Myth #3: “People say all the software I need is available on the Mac, too.”
This is a myth and while most popular apps are available on OSX, the breadth and depth of OSX apps are no where near what is available on windows

Myth #2: “Macs are simpler machines and therefore are cheaper to repair.”
Myth #1: “Everyone says Macs have a lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).”
I never heard these two "myths" before and to be honest makes no sense. I don't see it being a lower TCO.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Very much so, I love how I can drag a folder to the terminal and the path shows up, or how things are very consistent. This is not to say OSX is perfect, it still needs improvement nor does it say windows is awful, just that I think OSX is better :)

On a whim, I tried this on my Win7 work laptop and it does the same thing. Pretty cool. :)

Each environment has its issues. There are no perfect environments.

Is it just me or is MS Access being totally overplayed in this article?

You'd be surprised how many departmental "nice to have" Access databases have turned into mission critical systems where the Access databases must be available. I've seen it personally over the past few weeks. *sigh*

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.