Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
^ "2 Angry Birds 2.1.1" may not be "Angry Birds" at all, just a sound-alike.
Another group of apps they're free to perm ban in my opinion; I consider those things scams and am not surprised they're using pirated content or dodgy downloads to create their unoriginal products for whatever malicious ends.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
My thought is I am all done with any company that would use an Xcode version they got from a file sharing site rather than Apple directly. I would never trust them again.
No matter the size of the company their accounts should be suspended. Only way to prevent this from happening repeatedly and on this scale.

Reactions: Weaselboy

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
And how hard is it to actually read the original article, which addresses this?

Why would some Chinese developers download Xcode from Baidu?
Xcode is a large file that can take a long time to download from Apple's servers in China, leading some developers to download Xcode from unofficial sources.​
Why are most of your posts confrontational? Miserable much?

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
I only had WeChat installed, but I never used it.

As far as others, I have installed some of the Chinese Social apps, maybe a year ago, and removed them because it was virtually impossible to use, language wise, and they would constantly lock you out from logging in. So what's the point, and I deleted them. I have had Oplayer and deleted that, because I never used it.

Maybe two months ago, I went cleaning "house" on my phone and removed everything I didn't use or ever use... I routinely clear out background apps, to preserver battery, and stability. Still not sure... This is depressing.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I had CamCard installed a couple of years ago. I can't remember how long ago I deleted it. It's been probably over a year ago that I deleted it. But to be safe, I went ahead and did a full restore to factory settings on my phone.

I did copy passwords every once in a while. So that has me concerned. There were a couple of times when I needed to copy my WiFi password. Would it really matter if someone in China had my WiFi password? Serious question. I wonder if I should change it. I just hate to have to change it on all my devices. :(

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I wonder how hard it is for developers to submit a project instead of compiled object code. That way, Apple's secure servers can compile the object code and put it in the store.

Although an interesting thought, this is unfortunately practically impossible.

1. This would be a totalitary system and shuts down any project based on any kind of free or open source library. Which is about 99.9%. What remains are Flashlight- and Fart-Apps.

2. Legal issues. What is Apple allowed to do with my code? Let's not get started with it. I do not want to have another 20 pages in contracts with Apple.

3. Locality. Many projects require libraries stored on the local hard drive, need scripts to run. Very hard to make such things work remote.

4. This scenario would make Apple responsible. And they are not gonna do that.

But yes, theoretically, this would be what a true Guard is meant to be.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
They do. It's called Gatekeeper. But I guess if you're the kind of person to download Xcode from some file sharing site, you're the kind of person to disable Gatekeeper.

Sorry, maybe I was beating around the bush a bit. I meant Apple should only accept apps based on the most current, secure version of XCode.

The security should be on Apple's end, not based on a devs good will or common sense. The way Apple has it the key slot and thumb latch seem to be reversed.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
OK, here's a clarification regarding the clipboard reading. I think the Macrumors article worded this wrong. Here's the original paragraph from Palo Alto Networks (highlighting by me):

Finally, XcodeGhost will also use the clipboard functionality provided by iOS to temporarily store some data it needs. In fact, every time an infected app is launched, XcodeGhost will retrieve persistently stored data from the clipboard with a paste board named by app’s bundle ID and a fixed string “UIPasteBoard”, then store new data inside it. Although this behavior is not harmful to users, a slightly code change would allow the same technique to steal passwords from password management apps such as 1Password.

A little background: In iOS there can be not just one clipboard (or pasteboard in Apple terminology), but many. There is one system-provided pasteboard that is used for regular copy/paste operations between apps (with the name "UIPasteboardNameGeneral"). But apps can create additional named pasteboards for their own purposes. According to Palo Alto Networks, this is what the Xcodeghost code does (probably to share some data between mulitple infected apps on the device).

So, while Palo Alto Networks point out the theoretical possibility of grabbing sensitive data from the system clipboard, the Xcodeghost code in its current form does not appear to actually do that.

int79

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2013
OK, here's a clarification regarding the clipboard reading. I think the Macrumors article worded this wrong. Here's the original paragraph from Palo Alto Networks (highlighting by me):

A little background: In iOS there can be not just one clipboard (or pasteboard in Apple terminology), but many. There is one system-provided pasteboard that is used for regular copy/paste operations between apps (with the name "UIPasteboardNameGeneral"). But apps can create additional named pasteboards for their own purposes. According to Palo Alto Networks, this is what the Xcodeghost code does (probably to share some data between mulitple infected apps on the device).

So, while Palo Alto Networks point out the theoretical possibility of grabbing sensitive data from the system clipboard, the Xcodeghost code in its current form does not appear to actually do that.

This is good news, but we don't know for sure how many incarnations this exploit has?

Reactions: V.K.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Doesn't Apple have kill switch to remotely kill (uninstall) affected apps? Now might be a good time to employ that!

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Infected iOS apps
网易云音乐 2.8.3
微信 6.2.5
讯飞输入法 5.1.1463
滴滴出行 4.0.0.6-4.0.0.0
滴滴打车 3.9.7.1 – 3.9.7
铁路12306 4.5
下厨房 4.3.2
51卡保险箱 5.0.1
中信银行动卡空间 3.3.12
中国联通手机营业厅 3.2
高德地图 7.3.8
简书 2.9.1
开眼 1.8.0
Lifesmart 1.0.44
网易公开课 4.2.8
马拉马拉 1.1.0
药给力 1.12.1
喜马拉雅 4.3.8
口袋记账 1.6.0
同花顺 9.60.01
快速问医生 7.73
懒人周末
微博相机
豆瓣阅读
CamScanner
CamCard
SegmentFault 2.8
炒股公开课
股市热点
新三板
滴滴司机
OPlayer 2.1.05
电话归属地助手 3.6.5
愤怒的小鸟2 2.1.1
夫妻床头话 1.2
穷游 6.6.6
我叫MT 5.0.1
我叫MT 2 1.10.5
自由之战 1.1.0

Fox-IT (fox-it.com), a Netherlands based security company, checked all C2 domain names from our reports in their network sensors and has found thousands of malicious traffic outside China. According to their data, these iOS apps were also infected:

Mercury
WinZip
Musical.ly
PDFReader
guaji_gangtai en
Perfect365
网易云音乐
PDFReader Free
WhiteTile
IHexin
WinZip Standard
MoreLikers2
CamScanner Lite
MobileTicket
iVMS-4500
OPlayer Lite
QYER
golfsense
同花顺
ting
installer
下厨房
golfsensehd
Wallpapers10000
CSMBP-AppStore
礼包助手
MSL108
ChinaUnicom3.x
TinyDeal.com
snapgrab copy
iOBD2
PocketScanner
CuteCUT
AmHexinForPad
SuperJewelsQuest2
air2
InstaFollower
CamScanner Pro
baba
WeLoop
DataMonitor
爱推
MSL070
nice dev
immtdchs
OPlayer
FlappyCircle
高德地图
BiaoQingBao
SaveSnap
WeChat
Guitar Master
jin
WinZip Sector
Quick Save
CamCard

I freakin KNEW Mercury Browser would be in there. It was the best app in the app store, the best browser hands down, had built in ad blocking that was perfect, was fast as heck, I PAID for it, and then a few months ago the developer name changed to a weird chinese name and the browser went to hell, became slow, full of bugs, and then started charging a monthly subscription fee for add blocking even after I had previously paid for the app. I don't know what kind of weird conspiracy decided to take that browser out, but with BILLIONS of dollars depending on mobile ads, someone was gunning for that browser and it has been taken out by every means necessary.

Reactions: int79 and haruhiko

Misaki

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
If that Chinese hacker has enough skills to bypass the Appstore review process and infect 500 million devices I'm wondering if this is just the tip of the iceberg.

China has always been a source of circumvention of US policies.

eBay is a great example of how letting Chinese players into the sandbox, contaminates the sandbox.

It's likely that Chinese developers review Chinese apps. Simple as that. How developers managed to get a tampered version of Xcode is likely more than just the OP's speculation that the App store is slow in Mainland China, it's also likely the apps are developed on Hackintosh (PC's running OSX) which can't connect to the App store normally anyway.

Apple's solution for this should be pretty simple. Going forward all iOS software must be compiled with an unafflicted version of XCode, and Apple should make sure that developers using tampered versions of XCode have their software removed from the App store until submitted from a clean version using the current XCode.

Is this a big issue? Depends on your point of view. If your point of view is this was driven by piracy of OSX/XCode, then it's very likely there's other versions of XCodeGhost out there, not just in China. If it was solely because some XCode developers couldn't be bothered to spend a few hours/days to download it, then the problem speaks loudly about how poor China's internet is.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Is it possible that Apple is able to build x-code in a way that only apps built with an unadulterated x-code (or x-code that has only been downloaded from an Apple server), have an identifier on them that cannot be put there any other way?

Reactions: V.K.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
FlappyCircle ? ? lol ..

This could be a start of something big

Last edited:

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
How does Tencent, a 160 billion dollar company, download its Xcode from a third party repository?

Misaki

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
I wonder how hard it is for developers to submit a project instead of compiled object code. That way, Apple's secure servers can compile the object code and put it in the store.

A little too hard. Besides, it's not that hard to actually analyse a compiled binary and look for suspicious function names.

Like for example, there are numerous "flash downloader" drive by downloaders. Open the .DMG file with 7zip, go find the binary itself, and open it in a text editor, you'll see several http:// strings in plain text that you can identify as malware.

This is just an example without knowing the binary language. Apple can "run" the binary with a debugger inside a virtual machine and create a function tree and compare the functions to known libraries, and this is how Apple can check for prohibited API's and such.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
The list provided by Arn includes an application called "ting" (with a lowercase "t"). Does anyone know if this is the same as the "Ting" app offered by the popular wireless provider operated by Tucows?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
This is good news, but we don't know for sure how many incarnations this exploit has?
No, we don't. But then, any other app could just as easily read the system clipboard. This is not something that Apple can easily detect in their screening process.

Reactions: int79

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
So what is Apple doing, it should be writing a Malware detector and cleaner right now, with all the money they've got, they should be buying one and immediately put it in their store for free.

Reactions: scottsjack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.