What Your Opinion About 10.5.5?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPowers, Sep 26, 2008.

1. iPowers macrumors 6502

Hey I usually like to make these topics to get your views on whether you think we should upgrade or leave it alone because I didn't do this before and one of the previous versions have a kernal panic and I dont' want to risk screwing my computer.

Do yout hink we should upgrade and if so is there anything that we should pay attention for such as an error or something worse?

2. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Nothing bad that I can tell. They fixed the iCal problem where the Today button would be gray permanently if you closed the window and then reopened it.

3. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

I had never a problem with any os x update on any of our 5 macs at home. 10.2.x to 10.5.5
    P.S. I don't even repair permissions :D

4. esvee macrumors member

After upgrading to 10.5.5 my computer has lost the ability to see other computers on the network. After a bit of research, it seems I'm not alone.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Maybe so but you are not amongst a big crowd either.

Anyways, this is not an "upgrade", it's just a software update. You should install it, it fixes bugs so your Mac will run better. There's no reason to hold off on installing it unless you've got haxies installed or doing the dirty deed of using a hackintosh.

6. Padraic macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat as Dave187, I've not had a problem with any of Apples updates since 10.4.10 to 10.5.5. on 2 mac's.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

No problems at all with 10.5.5, but as others have said, I've not had any major problems at all with any version of Leopard (apart from the mildly annoying Bluetooth PAN performance issues on my MBA that have been there through every OS X 10.5.x revision)

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

it has totally screwed up my battery health readings. other than that no problems.

9. Buttercookie macrumors member

I haven't had any problems on any of my macs at home.

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

As soon as Service Pack 1 to Windows NT come along, I stopped doing updates. A hard habit to break but I really didn't want to bring that habit along with me to my Mac--so I always do the updates and as far as I can tell, they do exactly what they say--fix bugs and provide a few enhancements--and my Mac continues to run fine.

11. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

No problem here. Fixes what it says it should fix.

12. kolax macrumors G3

No problems.

Since 10.5.3, I've found Leopard to be extremely stable.

13. MoeOz macrumors member

my battery went 15% down , No reasons No fixes !

14. myjay610 macrumors regular

What do you mean 15% down? Like every time you run on battery power it loses 15% right away? Or was it just that time. I doubt 10.5.5 affected the battery...

15. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

my health stays at 32% or less since the update. 23 cycles and 32 or less %. i know it's just a bug so no big deal, but it's annoying as hell.:(

16. MoeOz macrumors member

no i meant the health from 94% to 79% just after the update , first went down to 72% then up to 79% & its 8 months old 100 cycle with good care .

Ps: i doubt if its just a bad reading bug , coz now i got only 2 and half hours from full charge from 3 and half before the update .

17. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

For me, I can no longer seenother computers on my network. Also, my MacBooks battery status meter is going haywire. Sometimes it will say I have 7 hours of battery left (I wish) but in reality I get 3.5-4 hours (I still use the original battery)

18. kolax macrumors G3

Battery life is all dependant on what you are doing. If you turn the brightness down, and do nothing and have nothing running, you'll get a big number. As soon as you turn up the brightness and start being productive on it, the time will drop drastically.

Try encoding video while running on battery. You'll probably get 50 minutes if you are lucky.

19. econoline06 macrumors 6502

econoline06

Effects such as minimizing windows seem to be slower than 10.5.4. I'm running a 2.4GHz iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM and a Radeon 2600 HD Pro. I'm a bit irritated with that...Apple has had a long time to sort out the bugs in core image. Other than that everything seems exactly the same. I never really had the problems others did to begin with.

20. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

21. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I am having network issues with my MBP since the update. My friends MB will not boot since the update.

22. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

That would be a good explanation except that I hadn't changed the brightness and was in the middle of editing a video. In my mind, that makes your explanation unlikely.

I have had what you describe. When I change brighness and such, i get better batter life (of course). I would expect that. But to jump from my average 3.4-4 hours to 7 while editing a video? Quite odd in my opinion.

Attached Files:

23. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

My battery health is perfect still with 105 cycles, even after 10.5.5.

24. kolax macrumors G3

Editing a video isn't CPU intensive - you aren't doing much, unless you are rendering. Final Cut Pro uses 2% CPU when I'm editing stuff.

Have you calibrated your battery recently? The MacBook will never get 7 hours battery life.

25. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

If you have a G5 with an ATI video card DO NOT UPDATE TO 10.5.5
    The update causes video to turn green and purple!