What your take on Multi-Tasking Gestures on the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iRobby, Mar 23, 2012.

?

Do you use Multi-Tasking Gestures on your iPad?

1. I use

87.9%
  2. I do not use

12.1%
  1. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

When I got my new iPad, I was hesitant to enable Multi-Tasking Gestures. But now I'm so glad I did. With going from an iPhone to my first iPad and the larger screen I was feeling sorta uncomfortable at times pressing the home button to go back to home screen or double pressing the home button to Multi-Task. I find the gestures so much easier. I just have to use 4 fingers and pinch to go back to home screen and use 4 fingers and swipe up from bottom to access the multitask bar at the bottoms.

Now I'm finding I wish I could do the same on my iPhone 4S! It's just so much easier.

What do you all think of this feature?

2. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

I don't find myself utilizing this enough...I know they exist, but for app switching, chances are the next app I want isn't "next" to the app I'm in, so in that case a double click of the home button is easier for me.

What do I think of it? Seems useful! Do I use it? Nah. :/

3. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

This is my first iPad and did not even know about this feature until after reading your post :D I love it and will likely never use the home button again.

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

When I was just using my iPad 2 occasionally, I didn't really care about the multitouch gestures. But I find myself using the new iPad on a daily basis (the new screen makes it a more useful device IMO, and iPhoto allows me to work with my photos more efficiently than the desktop version), so I find myself using the gestures regularly.

5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I too use the pinch to get to the home screen and the swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar. I, however, do not utilize the swipe left and swipe right to switch apps, as I have absolutely no idea which app is where or how it's organized.

6. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

That's the area Apple must improve, and I really hope Mission Control from OS X will be introduced to iPad.

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I use the close app one a lot. The next app and app switching bar I still use, but less often.

8. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I like them. The most useful one to me is pinch to the home screen.

9. sekazi macrumors 6502

I like the gestures but I wish they were 5 finger gestures instead.

I wish when you used it to close a app it actually closed instead of running in the background. That way the home button would be the button to background it.

I wish the swipe left and right worked from the home screen

I wish the reverse of the close gesture would bring up a screen of all currently running apps so I could choose.

10. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I like the gestures, I just wished they were available in safari like they are on the macs. Two fingers swipe to go back or forward in the safari browser is much needed on the iPad. Just my opinion.

11. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

That's the gesture I use the most and love it. The iPad needs to have this as well.

12. turbotoes macrumors regular

This would be the most logical thing for them to do, as the swipe and pray of the current system just is not an elegant solution.

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I agree about gestures in Safari. I was going to post this as well, but you beat me to it. Instead, I'm using iCab Mobile Browser, which is pretty good on the iPad.

14. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I turned the gestures off, because I found myself activating them on accident while playing certain games.

15. Aksta macrumors regular

I would love or a two finger swipe for back or forward in safari

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I use the gestures. I find them very convenient.

Considering that the Home button is often the source of problems on Iphone and iPad, I figure the less frequently it is used, the less likely it will go wonky.

17. jbimler macrumors regular

Does anyone know if there is a gesture to exit the app erase mode?

18. stonefeet macrumors regular

stonefeet

the only thing that's missing is 2 finger swipe to go back and forward in safari like in osx

not sure how well it'd work on an ipad but it should would be awesome

19. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I didn't really use it much before, but now I find it so useful. I kept trying to locate the home button in the dark to do all the multitasking and going home screen. Now I realized I should use the gestures and it makes one handed work and use in bed a lot better. Give it a try!

20. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I use two of the three all the time.

The four finger up to get to the multi-tasking tray.

And the pinch to home screen gesture.

I use them so much that I will sometimes try to do it on my iPhone. :eek::)

21. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Exactly my thoughts.

22. batotman macrumors 6502

Use them all the time. They seem to work a lot better on the new one vs the iPad 1. Pinching to close was always a chore, now it's a snap. I liked them so much I installed Zephyr and Activator on my 4S so I can double click status bar to close and swipe for gestures. And sweet that those jailbreak tweaks can be set to turn off for specific apps. It was a nightmare in Flipboard with one finger swipe up...lol.

23. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I'm pretty much with you on that.
    But I do use the side swipe with iCab to get from tab to tab, very handy.

24. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Gestures are awesome and convenient! The home button hasn't gotten all that great of a workout on my new iPad. It's feeling under appreciated.