Whatcha playin?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Feb 16, 2008.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I just thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else is playing still coming off the '07 flood :p I found a few gems by reading (or listening on podcasts) to what people have been playing so hopefully other people can too.

I'm playin

Crysis (PC) which gets a lot of flack for needing a $3000+ PC which is BS, but damn it's a purdy game. Some of the performance mods, like the Natual Mod, tweak the graphics to make them even more spectactular. The gameplay is quite solid, not "b3sT 3vAr!! nut still good. Basically you have this nanotech suit that gives you super speed, strength, defence and cloaking. So you activate one power on the fly and go with it until you power bar drains out from using ultra high jumps or super sprinting or invisible sneaking or whatever. I think it works really well, others disagree, and the shooting is solid. The enemies take too much to kill though, unless you get a headshot which is kind of annoying since the guns have some sway to them (much like a person would have) so getting a lot of headshots can be tricky.

Yakuza (PS2) I got at EB for $9.99 after hearing the 1up dudes, Garnett Lee and Shane B in particular, oozing about it. It's really good! Really cool story with great voice acting. The part of Toyko (I think) you wander around in looks great for PS2 game and has an RPG'esc feel to it. But it's basically a brawler game where when the times comes, it kinda of brings up a battle screen somewhat like a Streets of Rage and guys come in with their life bars and you beat the hell out of them with combos and weapons laying around and stuff. You can grab them and throw them or my favorite, smash their face into the wall with this gush of blood. Who says games are violent?

Patapon demo (PSP) just play this! It's free off the PC PSP store. It looks a lot like LocoRoco art style and you basically have these little patapon tribes (dots with arms and legs and weapons) that you use the buttons to drum the war song that tells them to move or attack or whatever. But you have to do it in the right rhythm or they get confused so it's about timing and knowing what command to give them. To make them move, you press □, □, □, o with the beat and them start moving forward. If you see enemies close you press o,o, □, o to make them start throwing spears or axes or whatever. You need to go into different levels to hunt food and get rocks and sticks to build more patapons. You equip them much like a strat game (they have HP, and a bunch of stats) and arrange simple back, middle, front marching formations. Just try it out. It's about a 50 mb download and is crazy cool.

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Lately I've been playing DMC4 for the PS3 (it's awesome), which I'm almost finished with. I'm thinking about picking up Warhawk, because I could use a game where I can find a match here or there and not have to commit hours to a progress in single player.

I'm considering giving Lost Odyssey for 360 a rent or borrow, it actually looks like a good RPG for the 360.

3. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Replaying CoD4, since it's so short and I kind of flew through it the first time! ;)

Also working my way through Forza 2. Have a couple of friends who are extremely competitive online, so need to build up an animal of a car before I can tackle them (they play "winner takes the loser's cars"!)

Once those are done - back to Oblivion which still probably has a lot of life in it. Plus might pick up Shivering Isles.

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm waitin' for SSBB, I got a lot of games I should be playin but just don't want to...

5. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Xbox 360
    Devil May Cry 4
    Orange Box
    Call of Duty 4
    Eternal Sonata
    GRAW2

Xbox
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent

PS2
    Yu-Gi-Oh! GX The Beginning of Destiny

Nintendo DS
    Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2007

..and my Wii is collecting dust until Smash Bros. and my PS3 is being used as a DVD player. :/

6. bwiissofly macrumors 6502

7. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Someone's a Yu-Gi-Oh fan :p

Currently I'm playing:

DS
    Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations
    Professor Layton & The Curious Village

PC
    Portal
    Unreal Tournament 3
    Crysis
    Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword
    Mythos (every now and then)

Needless to say I've got a lot on my hands, I'm barely on case 2 of T&T (and phoenix wright games are pretty long), Professor Layton is also a beefy adventure with tons of puzzles and Civilization IV BTS is addicting to the point of pulling all-nighters. Crysis, UT3 and Portal are amazing games as well. Mythos is nice but it's still in beta so it's a bit boring at times.

I'm looking forward to the release of Ace Attorney Apollo Justice and Sins of The Solar Empire for the PC.

8. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I admit! I like a children's card game. :D

9. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm strictly on Wii at the moment, and for quite awhile. I've gone through the first round of SMG with 120 stars and gotten 1 on the second round so I'm halfway through getting all 242...

I'm takiing a break from that to finish up Metroid Prime 3, and I'm close to the end of the first run through of Zack & Wiki... hopefully finish up most of that before SSBB shows up and sucks the last of my free time away.

11. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Wii: Metroid Prime Corruption

Gamecube: FIFA '05 (love this game)

12. Pine-Tree macrumors member

Pine-Tree

Lately for me it's been RezHD and Virtual Fighter 5 for the 360. Can't stop playing them! My Wii and PS3 are collecting dust at the moment. Do any of you play VF5 online?? I love this game and wouldn't mind playing some matches, we can set up a mini 'best on Macrumors' VF5 player, that would be cool...

Gamertag on live: xPINETREEx

Abe

13. asxtb macrumors 6502

PS3: COD4 and NHL08
    DS: Tiger Woods 08 for on the train

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Whats getting love now

PSP
    LocoRoco
    Ultimate ghost n goblins
    Tenchu
    Every Extend Extra
    Crush
    Patapon Demo

PS3
    Guitar Hero 3
    DMC4
    UT3......wheres the MR peeps?
    Oblivion
    Orange Box

Thats about it for now.

Bless

15. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

how you like patapon 2ny? I just beat the demo and am psyched for the full game. And it's only $20 new!

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^I'm in love with that game...its really neat. I can not wait for it to be release and at $20 thats the best deal going around.

I've played the demo like eight times today alone so I'm pretty pumped up for the game.

I love Yakuza and was really bummed when Y2 didn't come to NA but theresY3 coming out and it look great.

Bless

17. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well make sure to save that saved game. You can transfer it over to the retail patapon and one item you get isn't in the full game, only the demo.

18. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Burnout Paradise, Unreal Tournament 3, and Riff: Everyday Shooter are taking up all of my time at the moment. All on PS3.

19. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

Wii-collecting dust
    Xbox 360-Forza 2 and COD 4
    PS3-MLB '08 The Show demo and Burnout Paradise
    PSP-Some crossword puzzle game, lol

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Currently....

Turok / Eternal Sonata 360
    Jerihco / Lair / COD4 / UT3 / Assasins Creed / Ridge Racer 7 (got a few ps3 games cheap lately) PS3
    Nothing in a couple of months Wii
    Advanced Wars DS
    LocoRoco & Patapon Demo PSP

21. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

22. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

On my PS3 I've just finished Devil May Cry, which kept me thinking why it has not received any excellent reviews yet. I also play COD4, Burnout and Unreal Tournament 3.

However, I think I should give a special mention to Timeshift. Oh, boy that game is really sick. Ok, so maybe the graphics aren't top-notch, and maybe the optimization factor could be better, however, the game has very original ideas, that kept me going from the start till the end.

I highly recommend it.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^

Because it isn't as good as DMC 1,2 or 3

Because it doesn't feel a complete whole. Locations & Bosses feel utterly random. It's like your playing a remix game with everything mixed up because the level designers decided to throw continuity out of the window.

Because it relies to heavy on amazing looking cut-scenes, that despite being pretty I can't play

Because puzzle elements are so dumbed down that an amoebae would find them a breeze

Because all the bosses play out pretty much identically

Because at 7 hours its also possibly the shortest of all the devil may cry games

Because the few bits where you actually play dante are so mediocre you end up wishing your were back with nero

Because its so unbelievably linear

Because despite grand looking exteriors - they are actually very small areas with very little places to explore

Because the leveling up system is pretty much redundant and you may as well leave it on auto because it makes little difference to the final play experience

Because despite a harder difficulty level there is little incentive to play it again

Because nearly 8-9 years on in a game franchises IP.. It would be nice for developers to give us some new ideas, rather than watering down the existing ones.

Because despite pretty graphics it still boils down to Running from room to room via tiny corridor, enter room and whoosh! red door lock, kill few baddies, chop chop, red door lock explode, run from room to room via tiny corridor, enter................ ad nauseam

Most importantly..... Devil May Cry 4 is a like a summer movie sequel. Full of action, full of fancy special effects and awful acting, and utterly predictable... But despite that it's is mindless fun..

But utterly shallow, and despite it jovial nature - its is far from approaching a masterpiece or a classic.

The hack and slash game has moved on. The hack and slash game can have a stronger nature, a clear defined level design, a game that doesn't feel random, and one that includes enemies, bosses and puzzles which all gel together to make a strong whole.

God of War 2 - does everything so much better than DMC4 that it in comparison simply fails to it's last gen brethren.

24. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

It should definitely be better than DMC2, otherwise that would be pretty disturbing if it wasn't :eek:

Anyways, I'm sorry to hear that DMC4 is not as good as DMC3, I loved #3, it was just an excellent, refined game, I actually thought the combat system (and the whole game) were much better and deeper than God of War, plus the main adventure took me like 20 hours to get through or something, in the end with replays and just messing around I had like 55 hours clocked in my save and I got up to level 7 of DMD mode... such an amazing game, definitely in my top 10 PS2 games (and that's saying a lot considering how many good PS2 games there are).

Might be time to dust off my PS2 and fire it up again :) anyways, if DMC4 fails to live up to the standards of the past games then someone with a PS3 might as well get DMC3 SE (unless of course you don't have a BC PS3).

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

COD4 online and Halo 3 online

A little Pokémon Pearl, some Advance Wars Days of Ruin

I want to grab No More Heros..but I've yet to buy it.

I still need to beat Mass Effect, The Orange Box, RE:UC and Mario Galaxy.