Whatever happened to Dual Core graphics cards?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by combatcolin, Apr 29, 2007.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I was chatting to a tech friend of mine the other day, and he reminded me about a comment i made last year - i reckoned that by 2007 we would start to see Dual Core graphic cards on the market.

So, did i get it totally wrong or will we see a dual core powerhouse from nVidia or ATI sometime?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't think we'll be seeing the need for dual core graphics cards just yet. since they're made for a very specific task, they're highly specialized and i don't think they've reached the point where they have no other way to grow and juice more power out of them yet. i'd say maybe 5-7 years down the line we'd see them.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

They are still clocking pretty low compared to CPUs, and due to their specialized use they are more efficient. I think they'll stay single-core for some time.

4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

GPUs have always been multi-core...check this out, particularly the diagram at the top. Each of those little green boxes is a processing unit. Yes, all 128 of them. Makes the 8-core Mac Pro seem anemic by comparison, eh? ;) If you mean dual-chip, it's more efficient just to keep adding more processing units to a single chip, though as you can see by the other pics there, the chips are starting to get a bit big. But with heat/energy consumption issues as they are already, I don't see adding additional monster chips like that being feasible.

--Eric