Whatever happened to Spymac.com??

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by scottrichardson, Jul 8, 2008.

1. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

Hey all.

I used to check out a site called spymac.com quite regularly. It used to be quite an impressive mac site, and used some really cool web technologies.

What the hell happened to it? It's some video/image site now. Still has the spymac logo, but everything mac related is completely gone?!? What the?

Anyone know why they aren't what they used to be now?

Scott

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They tried to move into mainstream social networking with a complete revamp in January 2007. And yes, it's horrid.

They kept the Mac stuff going in a hidden corner of the site, but even that looks to be dead.

3. morlium macrumors regular

I was fired as a columnist from Spymac in June 2007 after the site spun in an entirely non-Mac direction. Shortly after (in September, I believe), Kristie Masuda was also let go.

I have no idea what they're up to these days (the "new" Spymac isn't even among my favorites), but the site and its management were always about making money, often at the expense of the community it created.

If anyone enjoyed (or remembers) my work, I'm over at MacLife now. And Spymac still owes me my last check. :mad:

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Is it just me, or is this type of treatment becoming common in corporate life? :(

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

From what I understand about the owner of SpyMac.com, neither common nor corporate are applicable.

6. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

I definitely remember SpyMac. Great site back in like, what, 2003? Too bad they really messed it up with that stupid transition to the 'social networking' experiment of theirs.

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yeah, used to frequent that site. They 'revamped' it and now it sucks.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I still have them in my Bookmarks folder "Mac Rumors", but after visiting Spymac for the first time since a few years, it seems I must remove it!

WTH has that site turned into..??? Some kind of Wallpaper site?

9. magid macrumors 6502

magid

Nice thread, I first went to spymac when the iTalk rumors were going crazy. It changed slightly after a year or so after that and since then I basically forgot about it until the other day. I thought I was directly to the wrong site since it was basically a youtube/social networking thing. Funny this thread just came up.