Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
As some of you will remember, Apple bundled a stand with the original iPod touch. The stand was used to make movies/videos watchable on the touch in either landscape or portrait orientations.

Does anyone know where the product went and if there was a reason for its departure?

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
It went the way of cost cutting. That and feedback Apple got that indicated many 1st gen buyers would call Apple support with questions about what that thing was that came in the box.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
It went the way of cost cutting. That and feedback Apple got that indicated many 1st gen buyers would call Apple support with questions about what that thing was that came in the box.

Is that actually official or your guess?

I know that plastic stand was pretty useful. It got lost easily though.

Like every other Apple accessory.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Probably a way of cutting cost. Apple included stands or docks in the 1G Touch and iPhone.

You make a good point and I will concede that it was most likely for cost cutting measures. But the dock for the iPhone stayed around even though they took it out of the package. The stand, on the other hand, disappeared and was never mentioned again.

This has purpose besides just debating... I'm thinking that if a "tablet" is released, it will come with a stand, similar, but bigger and more advanced/better than the touch's original stand.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
If a tablet shows up it should have a stand built into it. That or a magic "hover" button so it will suspend itself in space in front of you.

There are lots of ways to make a stand, and things as simple as a business card holder will work too. Check your local Staples or other business supply store.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
If a tablet shows up it should have a stand built into it. That or a magic "hover" button so it will suspend itself in space in front of you.

There are lots of ways to make a stand, and things as simple as a business card holder will work too. Check your local Staples or other business supply store.

Hey 4D, if it does have a stand built in, how would they do it without making it look cheesy/clunky? Also, how would they build it to ensure it isn't broken easily (nearly impossible to build a stand onto a device and not have this problem).

To clarify, I'm not wondering how to make a stand or where I can find one, I'm trying to say that the stand could be expanded and enhanced for use with the yet-to-be-announced i"Tablet".

Does anyone have any thoughts on the validity of my idea or how Apple could make the "Tablet" stand up?

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Hey 4D, if it does have a stand built in, how would they do it without making it look cheesy/clunky? Also, how would they build it to ensure it isn't broken easily (nearly impossible to build a stand onto a device and not have this problem).
Any good product designer can come up wth clever ways to make a flat panel stand up.
32740055-2-300-DT4.gif
This is the back of an Archos player I think. Or it could use a magnetic closing panel that hinges out to serve as a stand. The whole bottom edge might pivot at a clever angle to prop it up at varying angles. Have Apple give me a call and I'll show them a few dozen sketched ideas.

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2009
Hahahahah, wow, I had no clue my 1st gen iPod touch came with a stand. Just dug out the box, opened it up, and sure enough, it's right inside.

When does Apple stop using boxes and start using clear plastic casing? (Both of my iPods (touch and video) came in boxes rather than plastic cases)

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Hahahahah, wow, I had no clue my 1st gen iPod touch came with a stand. Just dug out the box, opened it up, and sure enough, it's right inside.

When does Apple stop using boxes and start using clear plastic casing? (Both of my iPods (touch and video) came in boxes rather than plastic cases)

They started using the plastic packaging for the touch with the 2nd gen, same with the iPod nano. The iPod classic and the iPhone are the only ones which they haven't ditched the nice boxes.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
I never knew what it was until I read a thread on this forum. I thought it was a usb cable cover. On a side note I think apple should have kept the box instead of the plastic since the touch is supposed to be a high end product.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
yup they just needed to cut costs, and they did

But where did the product go? They cut costs with the iPhone 3G by taking the dock out of the package, but sold it separately. This stand, on the other hand, just disappeared as if it never existed. Explanation?

Any good product designer can come up wth clever ways to make a flat panel stand up.
32740055-2-300-DT4.gif
This is the back of an Archos player I think. Or it could use a magnetic closing panel that hinges out to serve as a stand. The whole bottom edge might pivot at a clever angle to prop it up at varying angles. Have Apple give me a call and I'll show them a few dozen sketched ideas.

Honestly, do you think Apple would release something that looks like that? That stand is ugly and doesn't look like it would work ALL THE TIME, which Apple wouldn't be ok with. Do you have some of your designs lying around on your comp? I'd love to see them.

I just don't think its feasible to have a stand built into the device without it looking/feeling weird when its not standing up.

I like this idea a lot! My only problem is that it would look like an iMac (obviously the point), but if it is an iPod/iPhone OS device and not Mac OS X, it would confuse people. "Wait, it looks like an iMac/Mac, but its an iPod? I'm confused/don't want to buy it."

That thing got lost so soon after I got my iPod touch. I think most users didn't even use it, and it got cut as a result and to save costs.

I agree, but many would say the Dock isn't used by many people, yet Apple still sells it. Why wouldn't they keep the touch's stand around?

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Just selling a piece of plastic isn't very apple-like and they would probably charge you $10 for that thing. Bundle it along with a iPhone-like dock (nice and solid with line-out and dock connector) and sell it for $20/30 and some people might buy it.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
I like this stand just shame about the estimated price lol

EDIT: just found the official website and it is a little bit cheaper than endgadget say plus there are a couple of differen't cases on offer one which has a ring to go round your finger whilst using

http://www.iclooly.com/

I'm pretty sure when these stands came out last fall or winter they were as expensive as the Engaget article states. I guess they haven't sold as well as they hoped, so they dropped the price. They didn't have the clip and ring versions last year either.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008

Attachments

• MB568.jpg
    MB568.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 898
  • MB126.jpg
    MB126.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 891

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
As some of you will remember, Apple bundled a stand with the original iPod touch. The stand was used to make movies/videos watchable on the touch in either landscape or portrait orientations.

Does anyone know where the product went and if there was a reason for its departure?

good question... I am guessing it is purely a cost issue :eek:

hardware cost...?
packaging cost...?
shipping cost...?

...who knows what cost it was exactly, or maybe a combo of costs/issues!

Also, one important reminder - the majority of users really don't use them that often...

CrackBookPro:cool:

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Legitimate point, but would they use such a stand with a 9.7" "tablet"? That is the question.

Honestly, I really don't know about this tablet. I am skeptical right now of the whole idea of it, and do not know much on where they are positioning this....and towards what target audience. I am asking a lot of questions to myself about this "tablet." I am just going to wait till I learn/know more...I seriously have no predictions for this Apple Tablet....sorry :(

...looks like a new forum is going to be added real soon :p

cheers,
CrackBookPro:cool:

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Honestly, I really don't know about this tablet. I am skeptical right now of the whole idea of it, and do not know much on where they are positioning this....and towards what target audience. I am asking a lot of questions to myself about this "tablet."

Being completely honest and genuine, I would be really interested to hear some of your questions/concerns/skepticism. I'm trying to figure out some of the details myself and your input might give me a better, non-biased (as compared to myself) opinion on the product.

Care to share your ideas/thoughts/questions/concerns/skepticism?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.