Whatever happened to the teardrop iPhone 5 from last year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSacredSoul, Jul 18, 2012.

1. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

Backtrack a to last year. There were reports that Apple was readying two phones, the 4S and 5. And I am paraphrasing here, 'the iPhone was is a thing of beauty'.... tapered/teardrop design etc. Any one remember those news? Whatever happened to that? Were there all baseless rumors?

What if the whole 'longer iPhone 4S is the new iPhone 5' is an elaborate hoax by Apple (they do have the resources to pull off something like this), and this is just Tim 'doubling down on secrecy'?

I am not placing any money on this but all my hopes are here. A longer iPhone 4S would be a major disappointment. I was one of those that was expecting a big leap design-wise.

2. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I was wondering the same thing. Would apple release false info just to throw people off. There is a chance that it would backfire and cause more people to upgrade to S3 because they don't like the rumored iPhone 5. The only way to know for sure is to wait for the official announcement. I don't think we should pay a lot of attention to the rumors considering how wrong they were last year. I am still hoping for a slightly large iPhone 5 with a 4.3" edge to edge screen (on the sides).

3. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

4. njaremka macrumors 6502

5. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Oh, you mean this?

Screen shot 2012-07-18 at 18.56.25.png

I agree, a truly gorgeous piece of engineering. But since I've seen the 640x1136 mockups with the two-toned back I'm kinda rooting for that.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

They were just speculatd mock-ups. I don't remember who wrote about it, Gruber I think, but they mentioned that that particular design would be highly unlikely due to its asymmetrical nature, in that it would seem bizarre and unnatural when held in landscape mode, which would to against almost ALL or Apple's product lines in regards to design symmetry.

I happened to agree, but who am I to say.

Edit - found it: teardrop Skepticism

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Sounds like you really want the tear-drop iPhone to be real and the realistic two-tone iPhone prototypes to be fake.

A. There was never any part-leak of a tear-drop iPhone
    B. Tear-drop iPhone was 100% pure-speculation at best
    C. We have seen actual parts of the two-tone iPhone leak

If you think rationally, you already know the two-tone iPhone is the next version. It makes sense from a physical standpoint (holding a tear-drop iPhone would be awkward - also, all Apple designs are symmetrical).

I quote Jony Ive regarding people wanting drastic redesigns: "'Different' and 'new' are relatively easy. Doing something genuinely better is very hard.

8. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Based on how many people simply want the next iPhone to be "different", I feel like a lot of people in these forums would prefer this design over the 4/4S.

9. TheSacredSoul thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's true. Other than over enthusiastic case makers with their renderings, we didn't have any solid proof.

10. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

It never existed. Just made up stuff by people.

11. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I personally don't like the current rumors that the new iPhone will just be longer. If Apple is making it bigger, then it should be wider too. But nevertheless, it seems that the two-tone is the new iPhone.

12. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

I remember the hype of the teardrop design last year. Rumor sites were acting like a bunch of two-bit whores putting anything up for page clicks... only to be completely wrong in the end as it was a false rumor to simply fool the masses :p

That's why I don't believe the current 4 inch rumors for a second. I'll believe it when I see it FROM APPLE.

13. RenoG macrumors 65816

I'm totally ok with the possibility of the long two tone phone being the actual new iphone. If I want a totally different design I can always satisfy that with the very wide choice range of Android.

14. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Breath taking.

15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Would go splendidly with...

[​IMG]

16. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

Seriously?

That's the ugliest effin phone I've ever seen.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

...yeaaahhh.....so I'm pretty sure (and by "pretty sure" I mean somewhere around 100%) that that's a joke...just sayin'....

18. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I was all for the iPad style back that people were speculating about, but the one end being tapered would not have been a good idea and I would not expect to see that coming from Apple.

I love the current iPhone design--I thought it was gorgeous the moment I looked at it. So I wouldn't mind the same basic design with LTE and a little bit larger screen. If I had to pick one of those two, I would pick LTE over the larger screen.

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

By keeping the exact same form factor, and simply adding a bit of length, Apple will save a tremendous amount of money, thereby driving up the much needed profit.

I do worry that they are getting low on cash reserves. This should fix it.

20. solo118 macrumors 65816

This!

I was going to say the same exact thing. I am all for Apple's simplicity and elegance, so I hope this phone delivers. Only time will tell.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You might consider the </sarcasm> or I can almost guarantee some peeps are gonna blow a gasket. On the other hand, don't add it; it'll be more fun that way :D

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It looks like someone combined the top & the bottom of Apple's wireless mighty mouse.

24. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Or a computer mouse.

25. chokem macrumors 6502

That's a ouija board thingy. :D