What're First Things to do with an iPhone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by knowmonger, Aug 13, 2008.

1. knowmonger macrumors newbie

First of all, hi guys. I'm new here and this is my first post at MacRumors. Hope I'll see you all for my long stay that I'm planning.

Anyways, I'm most probably gonna get my very own iPhone one week later and so, I was thinking about the stuff I need to do when I get it. You know, first things should me first. Since Apple is a real jerk when it comes to user freedom, I need to know a lot.

I haven't personally used an iPhone before. So, these might be stupid questions :
    • Whats the pros and cons about "jailbreaking" ? (P.S: I'm absolutely love the carrier that comes with the iPhone)
    • Does iTunes automatically brick your iPhone ? (when its synced)
    • Is it safer to use Linux with iPhone ? (to avoid being bricked)
    • Which is the Best Unlocking software ?
    • What do you think about Rebel Simcard ? (Saw a lot of ads)
    • Does AppStore require a credit card ? (Too young to get one)
    • Can jailbreaking be reversed ?

Thats a lot. I know. But I wonder why Mac Rumors doesn't have a "sticky" post instructing first-timers to do the bare basic stuff when you get an iPhone. So, mods, if you're reading this, it would be great to see that.

And, guys, as experts, please tell me if there are other stuff that I need to care about as a first-time (from your experience) other than the stuff listed above. Pls help me out here. And I'm sure you won't be helping just me but a whole lot of n00bs. Cheers .....

2. Big Willie macrumors member

According to everything I've read here, the first thing you do is turn right around and exchange it. Something is bound to be wrong with it.

:p

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You have a lot of questions, and some misconceptions. Best to do some searching on this forum, and Google. To properly answer all your questions will take someone an hour.

4. Ant1-Hero macrumors regular

Ant1-Hero

5. amro macrumors 6502

6. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

LOL. Step two, log into MacRumors and post your new thread "OMFG, I got an iPhone!!!!!111!"

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

Whats the pros and cons about "jailbreaking" ?
    Pros: run apps not from the app store, and edit stuff on the phone
    Cons: could leave you with a broken phone and no warranty

Does iTunes automatically brick your iPhone ? (when its synced)
    no

Is it safer to use Linux with iPhone ? (to avoid being bricked)
    no - linux does not support itunes (or vice versa) so the iphone will not work easily with it

Which is the Best Unlocking software ?
    pwnage tool or winpwn, depending on mac or windows

What do you think about Rebel Simcard ? (Saw a lot of ads)
    never heard of it. but if you like the carrier, why need (what i guess is) and unlocking sim?

Does AppStore require a credit card ? (Too young to get one)
    credit or debit card, or itunes vouchers, which can be purchased in some stores with cash

Can jailbreaking be reversed ?
    yes, by restoring the iphone in itunes

8. nfg315 macrumors regular

nfg315

I'm not 100% sure, but I think even with a gift card/voucher, you still need a CC or DC to make an account.

You might want to make a deal with your parents to use their cards and pay for what you buy...or tell them you want a checking account and get a debit card for it.

9. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Yes, i tunes DOES require a credit card. It is how they decide which itunes store (location wise) to put you in,a nd you NEED a credit card because if you buy up a bunch of albums and apps and you dont have room on teh gift card, they need to charge it to SOMETHING>

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Wrong wrong wrong wrong...wrong wrong wrong.

I use iTunes without a credit or debit card, I just go to the store and buy gift cards and use those. You can't buy from iTunes unless you have money in the account, so it doesn't need to charge the balance to a card.

11. nfg315 macrumors regular

nfg315

good to know...i haven't tried to do it that way

12. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

1. Pros: Apps that can do more than Apple generally allows.
    1. Cons: Need to wait a few days for each new software version to be hacked; if you can't deal with this, you have more issues than we can help with my friend :p

2. Not at all; iTunes if what you use to get all your media onto the phone and for initial setup.

3. Not really. You can use your iPhone with any of the three major operating systems out there and it works fine.

4. Pwnage. If you are getting a new iPhone 3G, there is currently no software unlock available for it. Give them time. If you're getting a first-gen iPhone, it's happy to be unlocked using Pwnage.

5. Never heard of it.

6. Yup; use your parent's card or something. It's really no big deal.

7. That's the wonderful thing about jailbreaking; it can all be wiped away by a simple Restore in iTunes :)

Hope this helps somewhat, and enjoy your stay in the MacRumors forums!

13. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

So you didnt even use a credit card to sign up?? i SWEAR they need your billing address to verify which itunes store to put you inwhen you sign up.

i would double check this, because that goes against everything else i had read about itunes.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I have no idea what that could mean....

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well looks like you've read wrong. I don't have a credit card and I've been using iTunes for years.

16. GNice macrumors 6502

You are correct sir...I set up my nephew's iPod to use iTunes with gift cards ONLY.

17. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

First, deep breath!

After that plug it into iTunes and let it do its thing. It's pretty simple, no need to unlock. You'll be fine!

18. Zephgx macrumors member

1. Pros: Tethering, Customization, Free apps
    Cons: 'Voids your warranty', Slows down your iPhone
    2. Nope
    3. Not sure about this question
    4. Pwnage Tool for Mac / Winpwn for PC...but currently there is no software unlocking method at the moment...but pwnage tool will be the first.
    5. Never heard of it
    6. Requires a credit card...Although I think gift cards are supported now, but needs to be confirmed
    7. Yes, Restore through iTunes by hitting the restore button. Easy huh? :)

19. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

He is correct. This was not the case way back when. There is an option no when signing up in order to not use the debit or credit card.

20. knowmonger thread starter macrumors newbie

To start, thanks guys, for the all replies. :p The fog of ignorance is clearing off. Anyway, if unlocking would void my warranty, what if restore my iPhone ? Would I still get the warranty ?

And see, I'm a linux-kinda guy. So, is it possible to get the Shell or "Terminal" when I'm not unlocked ? My friend told me that you can't run official SDK apps when in un-jailbreaked mode. Is that true ?

P.S: The most important thing I want is the Terminal or Shell or whatever you call it.

21. knowmonger thread starter macrumors newbie

And I'm looking forward to make an article on this topic when I get my iPhone and real get to know it better. It would really be a help to other n00bs. I'm thinking if its better to post it here or elsewhere. Like Google Knols or something which would also give me money (thru ads).

See I would only post it here if its gonna be sticky post. Otherwise it'll get easily forgotten. Anyways, sorry for this post here. I know it doesn't fit in here. But what can I say, I'm a blowhorn (talks all the time) :D

22. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

I've actually heard that Apple did something to the device that shows whether or not the device has been hacked. I'm sure someone will explain better.

23. ArmyMirage macrumors member

Got my phone and first thing i did was go to the appstore and look around or a few hours and got tons of apps... As for jail breaking I had no desire to do so for fear of bricking my phone. So I will leave that stuff to others who know what they are talking about.

24. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

I was d/ling apps before 2.0 even came out for the iPhone (I had 2g)

My favs apps:

AIM
    Twitterrific
    Crash Bandicoot
    Shazam
    MySpace (I don't even really use it, it's just a great app)
    Save Benjis (good for finding deals all over the internet)
    Personal Assistance (PageOnce, great stuff to keep all your accounts you ever use organized.)
    Google App

Native Apps:
    Maps - Omg the GPS is on point for me (heard different for others).

25. hubriscorp macrumors newbie

jailbreak will be un-done once you update the firmware...