What're the differences between the new MBP's and the old ones?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by helloimD4NNY, Apr 17, 2010.

1. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

I have a few questions here but first i'll tell you a story(you can skip to the questions if you want). So 19 days ago I went to my friends kick back and brought my MBP. While at that kickback my drunk friend spilled vodka on my keyboard. The MBP then shut off. At that moment I thought that it was completely dead but it then turned on 30 seconds later. The next day I woke up and went on it but only to find out that the screen flickered and the keyboard was sticky. Me and my OCD self couldn't stand that sticky keyboard so I started spraying screen the keyboard with screen cleaner, yes I know you should never do that but what did I have to lose? After spraying it multiple times the computer froze. I turned it off to reset it but it then didn't turn back on. I took it to Best Buy that day(I have warantee) they said they would ship it out and fix it for free. I went back today as they told me that it would be ready today only to find out that it was "junked out" or in other words unfixable. They said that I should take the reciept to computer to get another MBP completely free of charge. The salesman said that the old 13" MBP's were discontinued, me and my geeky self realized that the new I5/I7's were coming out and got happy but kept my emotions to myself. They then told me I could get a new core I5/I7 when it comes out free of charge.

Now for my questions. What is the difference between the new MBP's and the old ones besides the I5/I7 chips? What are the speed differences?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 13" models are pretty much the same. There are some minor changes, mainly the integrated GPU is a bit faster; the processor speeds have been bumped, but you won't be getting any i5/i7 options in the 13" anytime soon.

The only way you'll be able to get the i5/i7 processor is with the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros… the base model (i5 2.4GHz) is faster than the older top end (C2D 2.8GHz).

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Well, if you're getting another 13", you won't get Core i5 or i7, those are only on the 15" and 17" probably because of the more complex graphics system required.

The new 13" has more battery life (advertised at 10 hours versus the previous advertised 7), bumped up processor clock speeds (still Core 2 Duo), 4GB of RAM and a 250GB hard drive on the base model, and faster NVidia 320M integrated graphics.

4. Arrandale macrumors regular

Don't forget:
    - vastly improved discrete graphics processor
    - 4GB RAM comes standard
    - Hard drive increases up to 250 and 320GB
    - Mini displayport with HDMI/audio support
    - Better speakers (not widely publicised, but ifixit found separate enclosures for speakers and subwoofer in the new models, as opposed to a single enclosure in the previous generation)
    - longer battery life (not sure if this holds up in practice)

Quite a respectable list, I would say :D