What's a camcorder that just works well?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iTunesFreak5454, Dec 16, 2007.

1. iTunesFreak5454 macrumors newbie

I'm not looking for anything top notch like an HD camcorder. I'm not a professional looking for expensive equipment. Can anyone just recommend a nice, slick camcorder that takes a decent picture and integrates well with iMovie HD and/or iMovie '08? I remember I saw a show once where they had a camcorder with its own HDD and when plugged into iMovie, all the videos were instantly there and easily transferred. That's what I'm looking for. A great camcorder that's not too expensive and is easy to use with iMovie. Thank you.

2. alex1 macrumors newbie

There was issues with HDD camcorders not being able to read by macs.. however I hear better thing recently with i-movie latest version and the newer camcorders with newer firmware. FCE and FCP I think are still a NO-GO. some people were renaming the .tos files to .mov and it worked others it didn't help. Basically Sony, Canon and JVC are the ones to look at. video quality and editing from a HDD camcorder is so so.. but if it works correctly, then it's very convient.

3. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

What is your budget? I use a Sony VX2000, it cost $2300 6 years ago. Great mini DV camcorder.

4. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Sony is the brand ive always trusted. Professional and house hold camera's.

5. fart macrumors regular

6. crazydrumma macrumors regular

I know you said you are not a professional, but the Canon gl2 is an amazing camcorder, and it has become very affordable lately, because it's a high quality camcorder, but it doesn't have HD, so it's not as "wantable". That's my advice.

7. Wilson1984 macrumors newbie