What's a decent movie maker for mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mdee4, Jun 14, 2009.

1. mdee4 macrumors regular

I don't like imovie to much. I need something better with more features.
    So what's a good movie maker I could use for my mac?

What movie maker software do you use?

I prefer if its free, so if you know one thats free, then let me know, but if it costs money then ok tell me anyway.

2. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

Can someone please send me a download link to Final Cut Express 4?
    I don't want to buy an actual physical copy, I just want to download it and them pay for for it without having to buy the cd, put it in computer, and move on from there.

So can someone give me a link to download this??

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can't download it, it must be installed from a disc.

4. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

That sucks. I don't wanna do that.

Well, what other good movie makers for mac would you suggest??

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Hmmm sounds a little fishy to me! You only want a downloadable copy so you can "Pay" later.

Anyway, what exact features are you looking for? I think if you own iMovie you have a legal right to download iMovie 6 HD (if you can find it) as some say that this offers you more creative freedom!

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nope. You can not download HD anymore.

iMovie '09 is better than iMovie HD anyway, more features, faster, more codecs.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Adobe Premiere Elements or Adobe Premiere can be downloaded as trials, or even Avid Media Composer.

Why no need for a physical copy of the video/film editing software (as the term "movie maker" implies too much of a "render cool picture button").

8. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

I wanted to download it because I don't want to pay shipping for a physical copy and have to wait for it in the mail. And I mean, u know when u download like a trial version, then you can click purchase within the app and then buy it, and then enter registration info. Thats what I meant.

I want features like to add transitions, custom writing, like be able to speed up or slow down a video clip, add effects to video clips so I can make it look like its an old video or make it black/white or etc, add music, cropping, put two video clips together; like one on top and the other plays on bottom or one to play on left and one to play on right at the same time, etc. Just some stuff like that.

I just need some features that aren't available in iMovie, cause its just to plain and I can't add cool enough effects to make my vids look nice and professional.

9. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

Do I have to buy iLife '09 in order to get iMovie '09???

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, unless it came installed on your Mac.

11. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Yes.

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then check out FCE or the trials I mentioned, as those programs have the ability to do those "professional" effects.

And yes iMovie '09 comes only with iLife '09.

13. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

Which of those is the best, with the most features? Adobe Premier Elements, Adobe Premier, or Avid Media Composer?

I don't want a physical copy, because I don't wanna pay for shipping and I don't feel like waiting for it to ship either.

14. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, that stinks I need iLife '09 for iMovie '09. Well I'm about to check out Adobe Premier and see how that goes...

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The best would be Avid MC in my eyes, but as it is quite expensive, I would recommend Adobe Premiere Elements, as it is like Photoshop Elements.

But FCE should give you the most bang for the buck.

16. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

What's the difference between Adobe Premier Elements and Adobe Premier??

17. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Elements is not as full featured as Premiere as you can see on Adobe's homepage.

18. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Just FYI, Final Cut Express is $199.00 at the Apple Store website and they ship it for free. So really, you'd only be waiting 3-4 days for your software to arrive in the mail. It's quite powerful and easily the best Mac-based NLE you can buy for the money.

19. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

Ohh ok. Thanks

20. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I would recommend Adobe Premiere Pro if you need the software immediately. It's comparable to Final Cut Pro.

However, if you plan on purchasing an app down the road, I'd stick with Final Cut Express. It has features that are on par with Pro software (granted you don't get batch captures and what not).

21. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Thanks everyone. Adobe Premier Pro is fine, but iMovie '09 seems to be exactly what I need. It has what I need and looks easy to use, so I think I'll get iLife '09 to get iMovie '09.

Just one question, does iLife '09 work on Imac 10.4.11 or does it only work on leopard 10.5.x and above?????

Nevermind, it only works on Leopard. Looks like I'm gonna need to upgrade.