What's a Fair Charge to Replace a HD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mjblanco, Sep 25, 2011.

1. mjblanco macrumors newbie

Hi Folks!

I have an iMac that has had it's hard drive go belly up. My employers want me to take it to get it repaired rather than doing it myself. What do you think would be a fair charge for simply swapping out a HD without needing to back up any data?

Thank you! I appreciate your feed back on this!

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

depending on the size of hd: 100 plus labour so 250$ ?

3. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Cost me 69.00 on an iMac 09, and about 25 min time. 500gb-

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My parents are getting it done now at the Apple Store (I'm not in the same state or I would've done it myself). They charged them $180 for a 3.5" 500GB hard drive. That's just a wee bit overpriced. Labor was simply $30 which I thought was reasonable for an iMac.

5. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Apple quoted me 325 for this exact same service! Wth:eek:

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

In the SE US I've seen $65-$85 (basically a min 1hr charge) if you provide the new drive. More if you want them to re-install the OS and restore any backup data.

Cheers,

7. iMikeT macrumors 68020

A "fair price" is what ever you and the person you pay agree to. I say that you get on iFixit and look at their tutorials about replacing an iMac's HD and do it yourself. There's a bit of learning and getting over the fear of performing your own work but you'll pay the ultimate fair price, nothing! :D

8. GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

My last iMac I paid 1/2 hour labor ($40) and the cost of the 500gb drive ($70) for a total of a tick over $100. This was at a local reseller that is also an Authorized Apple Repair shop that the guy at the Genuis Bar referred me to since it would be much cheaper than if they did it :)

9. mjblanco thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Guys! (meant as gender neutral)

Thank you for your feedback. The store I got the quote from has a pretty strong monopoly in Vermont and acts like it. I appreciate your feedback. That, along with some other really low (really low) behavior on their part has convinced me to no longer have my school district do any business with them. :eek: