Price Advice What's a fair price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rbfinch2, Sep 25, 2014.

1. rbfinch2 macrumors member

I was originally going to wait for the iPad 2 but I know someone selling the MacBook Air, mid 2013 with 128gb solid state. What would be a fair price?

Also, are the MacBook airs reliable?

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

They are very reliable. Is it a 11 or 13 inch model? 4GB of ram I am guessing?

3. rbfinch2 thread starter macrumors member

Yes it's the 11.6, 4 gb. He's trying to sell it to me for $500.

iPad Air 2 or jump on this?

4. motrek macrumors 68020

I recently sold a 2010 base model 11" Air for $475 and had a lot of offers of $450, so getting a 2013 for $500 seems pretty terrific.

5. rbfinch2 thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking for something that will last me a couple of years that's mobile. Are the Macbook Airs a solid computer? I always judged them as being flimsy. And this is def a fair price?

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Jump on this immediately! That is an insane deal. Apple refurb store sells that same model for 719 plus tax. Getting it for 5 would be an absolute steal.

Think of it like this. A 16gb iPad Air 2 when it comes out will be at least 500. With the air, you get 128gb of storage and a full OS X operating system with far more capability than iOS.

7. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Agree $500 is a terrific deal. It is almost too good a price that would trigger my suspicion - is it stolen, damaged etc....

8. motrek macrumors 68020

They're perfectly solid. Not sure why you would think they're flimsy. Just because they're thin doesn't mean their cases are made of thinner aluminum than any other MacBook, etc.

In fact I would expect them to be somewhat more rugged than regular MacBooks due to their lighter weight. That means less inertia when you drop one. And if you pick up one by the corner, you have less weight to torque it in the opposite direction.

If you drop one on the ground I wouldn't expect it to work perfectly afterwards but that's the case with any laptop except for the ones that are built specifically to be "rugged."

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

The unibody construction and makes the regular MB so tough was pioneered to make the first MBA possible.