Whats a good 3D program for under $200?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by natatos, Dec 30, 2010.

1. natatos macrumors regular

Hi, so I've been using Blender off and on for about a year and a half and I was thinking about buying a different program. I'd like to keep it under $200 but if its a little over that fine. I was thinking about Silo but I don't really like not having the ability to extrude single vertices and subdivide objects like in Blender. Also if their are any products that have a student discount or something like that for someone in high school that would help too.

2. W1MRK macrumors 6502

Bryce is fun to play with. Poser and and Daz studio is also worth a look.

Vue is very nice for landscapes.

3. dougbrowne macrumors member

EDIT: nevermind, please delete. I was mentioning autodesk 3ds max and maya which are free for students. Then I realized they are only for windows.

4. natatos thread starter macrumors regular

Maya is on Mac.

5. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Are you looking to get into 3D as a hobby or a profession? Maya seems to be the general know this if you want in application. I see you mention you are in high school. If you wind up going to college, you can get a 3 year license of Maya for free with a student email. If so, I would just spend time learning blender while you are in high school. It's what I did, and I am currently learning Maya in a computer animation degree. Do you happen to know what you are interested in, IE modeling, animation, texturing, game work, ect? Most of what you learn in one 3d package translates pretty well to the others. After using Blender for about 2 years, I picked up Maya pretty quickly.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Maya is on Mac. A lot of people prefer it to 3Ds Max for its animation capabilities. Thats all I'll say so I don't start a Max vs Maya thread. (Take a look at which one Hollywood studios use though ;) )

Maya 2011 is amazing and as a student you can get a 3 year license.