Whats a good ad-ware program for mac

Arcktik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2006
Whats a good program that simular to Ad-Aware SE Professional for mac. I need something that removes spyware and viruses. Thanks

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
You don't need one. Simply put, there are virtually no viruses or spyware for the Mac.

Steve

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Steve1496 said:
You don't need one. Simply put, there are virtually no viruses or spyware for the Mac.

Steve
Unless you are concerned about spreading viruse to friends and family not on a Mac.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Arcktik said:
I need something that removes spyware and viruses. Thanks
If you really want an anti-virus program, the best one is ClamXav. It's open-source and therefore free. However, as others have already posted, there are no viruses or adware for the Mac at present, so it's up to you if you feel you really need to install it.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
You can give an infected file to a Windows user, say by forwarding an email with an attachment.

Also, if you receive and infected file, say a Word document. You might be able to use it and not even know it is infected and then give it to a Windows user to look over and suddenly they are infected. Mac anit-virus would catch these files and clean them as they pass through, kind of like a firewall or a spam filter.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
yippy said:
You can give an infected file to a Windows user, say by forwarding an email with an attachment.

Also, if you receive and infected file, say a Word document. You might be able to use it and not even know it is infected and then give it to a Windows user to look over and suddenly they are infected. Mac anit-virus would catch these files and clean them as they pass through, kind of like a firewall or a spam filter.
What he said. I have to be really careful with my non-Mac clients. I infected one once and took down their whole network. :eek:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Arcktik said:
Whats a good program that simular to Ad-Aware SE Professional for mac. I need something that removes spyware and viruses. Thanks
No program like that exists for Mac, because you really do not need one.
All Mac browsers have pop-up blockers.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Le Big Mac said:
How would that happen? If the virus doesn't infect the mac, it won't send itself along.

Not true, because a virus can contain itself within a file, such as a macro virus would. A virus scanner for Mac would be helpful if you share a lot of Word files, as they can be a source of macro viruses.

macsrockmysocks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Then why does Symantec make Norton Anti-"Virus for Mac when you don't need it? My friend's mom is forcing him to get it, even though the CompUSA people, me, and her son told her it was unnecessary.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
macsrockmysocks said:
Then why does Symantec make Norton Anti-"Virus for Mac when you don't need it? My friend's mom is forcing him to get it, even though the CompUSA people, me, and her son told her it was unnecessary.
Because they want to make money...imagine that.

macsrockmysocks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
That's pretty much what I thought it's for. Maybe they are trying to catch the people that had bad experience with their Windows systems.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
macsrockmysocks said:
Norton can screw up your system. If you do a search, someone has posted a command line "utility" that acts like its scanning for viruses, and tells you that the scan is complete and no viruses were detected... but its really nothing. It doesn't really scan. Somebody made it cause their IT dept wouldnt' let them on the network unless they had virus software.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
What's up with Allume Systems "Internet Cleanup" software? One of the features is to remove spyware. I had version 2.0 a while back on my iMac but never installed it in my PB. It never found any "spyware". Guess I wasted my money.