Whats a good app to convert LPs (records) to MP3 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by techmonkey, Dec 9, 2007.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I have a bunch of LPs and 45s that I need to convert to MP3. I plan on hooking my parents record player to my MBP using the line-in. Can anyone recommend a good app to record the input and maybe clean up the recording? Ive done this in the past with Window and Nero Audio Editor.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I use Griffin's Final Vinyl to record and Amadeus II to clean up the sound.
    No doubt there are better solutions out there, but I'm stuck in my ways.

3. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Audacity works well, but is a little long winded.

4. mediaguru macrumors regular

Roxio's Toast 8 includes an app called CD Spin Doctor that I believe will do this, though I have not used it.

I use, and very much like, Audio Hijack Pro. It includes virtual processing plugins and will even record audio produced by other running applications.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I use CD Spin Doctor, I've had good results using it to convert LPs to CD or MP3. You can also use it to record from any other audio source.

It will export the music straight into iTunes or you can burn to CD. It tries to detect the individual tracks when you import it but you have to manually edit to do it properly.

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

As an audiophile I feel the urge to recommend you buy a sound card that has at least "decent" A/D converter. For example MBOX by Digidesign (comes bundled with Protools LE software that is a killer app for recording audio) or something similar. LP'ss have far more resolution that any Apple built-in A/D converter can handle, so if you want to "preserve" your LP's then you need to think about quality.

But I'm not planning to start a quality war here, just take it as it is: an opinion.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

He's right.

8. mediaguru macrumors regular

True, most laptop/portable cards are somewhat lacking in fidelity and also contain analog circuits that are more susceptible to interference from other components. MOTU also has a line of consumer A/D products that interface with the computer via USB or IEEE 1394.

9. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

The MBOX looks nice, but its very pricey. My father-in-law has some old 45s that he would like me to convert to MP3. He is in his late 70's, so I think he will be happy with the quality that my input on the MBP. If I were converting a large collection of LPs, then I would definilty consider getting something like that.

So far people have recommended Final Vinyl, Audacity, Amadeus II, and Wire Tap. Anyone have any other suggestions?

10. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

You can also try iMic for your converter. It should be about $20 or $30 at Amazon or Fry's. I used that to digitize some tapes.

I use Audacity for the software. The noise cancellation feature works very well for me to get rid of the background hiss from the tapes.

11. mopppish macrumors 6502

12. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Isn't iMic for people who don't have a audio input? My MBP has audio/optical input.

13. Wrangler macrumors newbie

LP to MP3 Conversion Software

I just bought an ION USB TTUSB05XL turntable from Radio Shack. In spite of the claims on the box and in the instruction booklet, and even on the included CD, I couldn't find any MAC compatible software in the package, all the files were .exe types. I went to their website and found both Audacity and ezAudio Converter and downloaded copies of each, but I couldn't open the help files for Audacity, and only after several hours of frustration was I able to get ezAudio to work at all. Finally, when I was able to make a readable mp3 file, when I played it, the resulting sound was muddy, dull and muted - totally unacceptable. I was about ready to put it all back in the box and take it "back to the Shack" when I discovered "Golden Record" on the WEB and gave it a try. See <www.nch.com.au/golden/>. It's user interface reminded me of Toast, so I was able to figure it out pretty easily, and the MP3's it made were quite acceptable. Once I had the MP3 files, I was able to toss them into iTunes and burn a CD that sounds pretty good, especially for use in my car. Since most of my CD listening is done in my car, I already have used iTunes to make copies of all my favorite music CD's to keep in my car, thus protecting the originals from possible theft and the harsh environment of an automobile. Now I can do the same with my LP's, some of which may never be made available in CD format. The Golden Record software is a bit "iffy" on automatically splitting up the tracks during the first recording, but this can be done after each side of the album is recorded, it just takes extra time. I will be playing with the settings for this feature to see if I can improve it's reliability. I've read of similar problems with Roxio's Spin Doctor, and since the Golden Record's user interface is similar to Toast, I can't help but wonder if they're not the same, though I haven't actually seen or tried Spin Doctor yet. I have two older Macs, my primary one is a 17" iMac running OS 10.3.9, and my backup one is an old 7300 with a G4 processor upgrade card from Sonnett running OS 9.1 .

Regards,
    Bill Nielsen
    Oakland Park, FL USA