What's a good application to program and create an application with on OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by rebello95, Nov 8, 2011.

1. rebello95 macrumors member

I'm trying to program an application that will connect you to a server either inside or outside of the application. What's some good software I could use to do this?
    P.S. I'm an developer so I've used Xcode, AppleScript, Terminal, etc.
    Thanks!

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, the answer is Xcode. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that it "will connect you to a server either inside or outside of the application."

If you give us more detail about what exactly it is that you are hoping to create, and the skills you already have, we can probably better answer your question.

3. rebello95 thread starter macrumors member

Essentially I want the application to have a button "Connect" and then connect you to a file server that I have, and display a GUI with the files in that window. I'd preferably also like to have a way to have it automatically check for updates.

I don't know a ton about programming, but I'm learning. I've programmed and published a few iOS and Mac apps... they're not that great yet, but I'm working on them

4. subsonix macrumors 68040

You can use all of them to connect to a server, Applescript is probably the simplest. You can browse files on a server in Finder and disconnect by "unmount" it, since the server shows up as a volume in finder. If authentication is needed, a dialog for login will be shown.

Just hit: ⌘ K

in Finder, if that manages to get the job done, then it can probably be done with a few lines of Apple script.