What's a good backpack that I can take it backpacking with my laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hojoon0724, May 11, 2008.

1. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

So I decided I kinda need to take my laptop on this backpacking trip and I need to find a backpack that I can put my laptop in.

Any help will be awesome.

2. animationerd macrumors newbie

I am a big fan of Timbuk2. I can't personally speak for thier backpacks but I have a couple laptop messenger bags that I love, great for biking. I've also heard great things about their backpacks.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I've got a northface one that's great (it's also just sitting in my closet because I now spend too much time in the adult world of briefcases :eek:) - I think it's an Elbrus. They tend to be really thoughtful about pockets, gear tie-on spots, and protecting your lappy. Check sierratradingpost dot com for some insane prices on them (I've seen them occasionally go for 60% off there...).

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I can wholeheartedly recommend Crumpler.

I have a Crumpler Team Player (Base Toucher). Not sure they make it anymore though but I think the new models will be even better.

It has been the best bag I have ever owned :D

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Do you mean you're going on an overnight / multi-day backpacking trip?

I'd strongly recommend against taking your laptop. It could get wet. Your batteries won't last anyway. You'll be dirty. It will be dirty. It will add a good 6-7 pounds to your pack. If you must bring technology, bring an iPod. Better yet, leave that home and bring a book.

If you're determined to bring a laptop, just get a regular backpack and a rigid sleeve for your laptop. Brenthaven makes good ones. Get a ziploc bag big enough to fit the laptop (they come in extra extra large sizes). DON'T take your laptop out if it's raining.

6. hojoon0724 thread starter macrumors regular

Got one already and I love it.
    It's just not big enough to take it for a backpacking trip through asia

7. hojoon0724 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it's not exactly backpacking in the traditional sense of going to the wilderness. I'm going to Hong Kong Osaka Kyoto and Seoul.
    I decided on taking it because I'll be taking a lot of pictures and since I'll be flying a lot I thought I could do some postprocessing on the plane.

8. hojoon0724 thread starter macrumors regular

uh,, they're not that big to fit a laptop, a pair of pants, a pair of shorts, 3 tshirts, 5 pairs of underwear, a DSLR camera, tripod, etc.

I'm wondering how good of a bag this one would be?
    http://oakley.com/pd/4578

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Ah, I see. Here's a bag that's a little bit bigger than the Oakley:

http://www.rei.com/product/765742

You'll have to pack pretty lightly to use either of these -- but that's probably a good thing! I spent seven weeks in Europe with a laptop and a smaller bag than either of these.

10. Goldenbear macrumors regular

I've been a big fan of Mountainsmith since 2001.

How about this one?

11. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Leave the laptop at home. Enjoy being free from it on your vacation.

If you must, take a cheap laptop like the Eee PC and shove it in whichever bag best fits your other needs; it's pretty dang tiny.